Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › My favorite chicken died this morning.

My favorite chicken died this morning. I'm devastated and also need to know what happened.

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 165
JJ, I try to provide my variety in food. I give them what's growing in the yard, but can't provide much other variety. I have a predetermined area that they can run around in. Eventually, when I have stronger grass , I can let them out in there also. My garden just suffers when they get in it. They tear everything out.

Anne, I feel your pain. I try not to feel guilty if things aren't perfect. I do try to make light, my prisoner comment was partially that- trying to make light of a sad situation, I guess. But I do think that because they don't have acres to forage on, they are vastly more dependent on me to provide variety, safety and some stimulation. I'm going to create a chicken garden as soon as I finish my current monster project for work. I will create a sprout buffet that they cannot scrape to death with their claws. That way, they can eat what grows up but have mesh that keeps them from tearing out the roots. Or in my case, just eating all the grain.

I'm such a newbie that I was really learning as I go- I did years of research before getting chickens but wasn't prepared for the fragility and multiple paths that can be taken in caring for them. I can only use my knowledge of food and gardening organically to help them also. I think it helps that I've been growing vegetables organically for over 20 years. I just love having critters to feed my garden bugs to. I actually get excited when I see a good bug to feed the chickens! Grasshoppers are the best! They chase them like crazy and have tons of fun. I have an endless supply of crickets for some reason, also. So, I'll keep trying to make life better for my chickens.

I owe it to Claire. She was special from the start, actually. I named her after my beloved grandmother who helped raise me. Her favorite color was brown and she would have loved Claire's beautiful brown feathers. I often think my grandmother still helps me in death, as she did in life. I hope Claire can help other chickens in death.
Danuta or D.
user 13056871
Reseda, CA
Post #: 66
I feel your loss -this morning I lost our favorite girl (a red star -the alpha hen to our little group & fantastic egg producer!) am sending her out to UC Davis as well (hope its nothing contagious) did you get the results on your yet?
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 174
Danuta,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just got my report. I'll post it.

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 175
California Animal Health & Food Safety
CAHFS Case #: S1303352
Referral #: CLAIRE
Date Collected: 04/29/2013
Date Received: 04/29/2013
Case Coordinator: Hailu Kinde, DVM, MPVM
Electronically Signed and Authorized By: Kinde, Hailu on 5/14/2013 6:56:08PM
Laboratory System
105 W. Central Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408-2113 (909) 383-4287
Email To:
GARRIS, BRANDI
cjgbmg@gmail.com
1 Carcass; Hand: Brandi
, BYF
GARRIS, BRANDI
ID Type
Name
FINAL REPORT
This report supersedes all previous reports for this case
Collection Site:
GARRIS, BRANDI 431 S. BERKELY AVE Pasadena, CA 91107
Specimens Received: Comments:
Bill To Submitter
ID
Claire
310-428-8117
S p eci m en
Taxonomy
Chicken
Backyard Flock , CA
431 S. BERKELY AVE Pasadena, CA 91107
C ase
C o n t act s
D et ai l s
Gender Age
Female 1.00 Years
- - - -
Hepatic rupture
Fatty changes of the liver, diffuse, severe Periportal hepatitis, lymphocytic, mild, to moderate Bile duct proliferation, mild.
Cause of death: Internal bleeding due to hepatic rupture
Other findings:
- Negative for Salmonella and AI PCR by PCR - Negative for parasites by fecal float
- Unremarkable aerobic culture.
L a b o r a t o r y
F i n d i n g s/ D i ag n o si s
Found dead without signs of illness, with:
C ase
S u m m ar y
The chicken was obese and the liver was very friable and fatty. This led to the rupture of the liver which led to the acute death due to internal bleeding. The ovary is usually active, at least in the early stages, and the metabolic and physical stress associated with oviposition (laying eggs) may be factors that induce the fatal hemorrhage. In older birds diet should be closely monitored so that they do not get obese. There were no underlying conditions in this bird. We will do screening for salmonella, AI and parasites. Results shall be sent out as they become available.
5-14-2013: The histologic findings in the liver are consistent with that of the gross observation confirming acute rupture of this organ. the diffuse fatty changes or vacuolation of the hepatocytes may have predisposed the rupture.
The liver had also periportal hepatitis and bile duct proliferation indicating pre-existing condition. Salmonella and AI were negative by PCR. No parasite was detected on fecal examination.
C l i n i cal H i st o r y
No noticeable changes, didn't lay an egg for a couple of days. No symptoms.
G r o ss O b ser vat i o n s
Report 4.12-CAHFS Standard Report - 5/6/2013
Page 1 of 2
CAHFS Final Version 1 Accession # S1303352 May 14, 2013
Necropsy of a 2.0kg Brown/gold Easter Egger Hen began at 1:00 PM on 4-29-2013.
The bird was obese and there was an extensive amount of fat was present in the abdominal cavity. The crop and gizzard were full. The liver was friable and fatty (yellowish pale in color) and was fractured resulting in internal bleeding (a large clot of blood was present in the abdominal cavity). The ovaries were in production showing developing follicles and matured ovules. The contents of the small and large intestines were normal. No gross abnormalities were noted elsewhere in this bird.
B act er i o l o g y
Test Specific Comments
Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture
* There is a greater than 90% correlation between Salmonella culture and PCR test results. Cases in which the PCR result is positive but an isolate isn’t recovered may be due to low numbers of organisms, competition with other bacteria (particularly Proteus), or non-viable Salmonella in the sample. PCR is a very good tool for ruling out Salmonella negative samples with a rapid turnaround time.
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type Results
Claire Claire
Claire Claire Claire Claire
Claire Claire
Liver Tissue
Liver Tissue Cecal Tissue
Mixed flora Rare#
No salmonella detected No salmonella detected
B i o t ech n o l o g y
Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture
Avian Influenza matrix gene qRT-PCR
Pharyngeal Swab - VTM
Not Detected
H i st o l o g y
Tissue sections of liver, kidney, heart, lung, spleen, sinus, brain, proventriculus, gizzard and small intestine were examined histologically.
Findings:
The liver was marked by fibrinohemorrhagic exudate along the tear and marked diffuse hemorrhages in the rest of the parenchyma. The liver parenchyma also showed mild to moderate lymphocytic periportal infiltrates, mild bile duct proliferation and diffuse fatty changes. Other tissues were unremarkable.
FECAL EXAM - FLOTATION
Claire Claire Feces
P ar asi t o l o g y
No parasites seen
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 17
Brandi...I noticed the phrase "pre-existing condition" in the summary section which means she was more likely to develop fatty liver than the other girls. You must forgive yourself! We have all learned from your tragedy. Claire has certainly given us all a gift in learning about diet for chickens and she has certainly saved many chicken lives. Thank you so much for following through on this and publishing the report. You are in our hearts!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 177
Karen

Thank you for that. I didn't notice it on the first go around. I was pretty shocked that she was so obese. She didn't seem that fat, honestly. Her last two days I was not around and she was fed tons of barley, by accident. I just wonder if it was too much for her. Maybe she had an issue to begin with. I'm starting to question the origins of my birds since they seem a bit unhealthy at times.

I'm glad we are all learning from this. I hope...
I know I did.
crying