Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Not eating lay pellets?

Not eating lay pellets?

debra
user 11624434
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
So all of a sudden my girls have stopped eating - are happy to eat scratch and scraps but want nothing to do with the lay pellets. Egg production has plummeted as well, no surprise... the only other new development in the coop is the baby chicks we added, but they are currently separated.

Any thoughts? Do I stop giving them other food and hope eventually they will get hungry enough to eat pellets again? Has anyone else had this happen?
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 500
my flock pretty much rather die of starvation than eating pellets... :)
I am now feeding them the new Scratch and Peck Feed got from Azure... and I'm mixing a bunch of other good stuff to it :)

My 50 pound of pellet is so old now sitting in the garage waiting for me to just pour it into my compose bin...

good luck with your flock...
lynn
user 54588112
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 13
my hens won't eat pellets. i feed them (organic) lay mash with a bit of scratch mixed in. i would try giving them mash, since scratch doesn't have enough nutrition. good luck! lynn
debra
user 11624434
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
So weird though - they've been eating this same feed for the last couple of years. As soon as the babies arrived, all the hens decided to go on strike. It's like they want the chick starter that they can see but can't get to. Silly girls. I guess I'll try something new...
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 321
It might be the chick feed, but don't rule out the possibility that you either got a bad bag, or that the manufacturer has changed the formula somehow. This happens to me with dog food once in a while. The makers seem to be loathe to tell us when they have to change ingredients most of the time - we find out because the animals know. You could try mashing up the pellets, or wetting it with some yogurt or water, or even mixing it with a little of the chick feed. Sometimes changing the consistency is all that you need. If you really want to stick with this feed, and use up the bag, you can make them eat it if it's the only thing they can get . . . just make sure there isn't something really wrong with it. I hope this helps - it doesn't sound right that they would go on strike from seeing some chick feed nearby. Best wishes!
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 29
Babies arrive tomorrow and when they're ready, had planned to feed pellets like the "Chicken Chick." Question...do you continue to make food available on demand or do you only provide a limited amount? And if so, how many times a day do you feed? Thanks...