Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › I posted a Chicken Processing Video on Youtube

I posted a Chicken Processing Video on Youtube

Sven
user 28416502
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 44
You are very welcome. Glad to hear it went well. The first time was also very impactful for me, made me very aware of the whole life & death reality. It gets a little less intense as you do it more often, but the significance of choosing to eat meat and be willing to raise and process it yourself remains.
Nagi K.
user 99579292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 18
Yes! It makes one appreciate food so much more!
Lyla
user 62165332
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 32
Well, thanks everyone for all the links. Through the posted link, I found another one with a lady doing "respectful chicken harvest" or something like that. Very good and my style. We had not intended to eat these hens, since my intention with them was as layers. But the barred rock was SO loud, my family was complaining and we were concerned neighbors would also complain, especially once she began laying. So I finally assented to have the deed done and am now initiated into the world of chicken-plucking. It wasn't difficult as might be expected. My son helped out with getting the guts out. Quite an anatomy lesson, lots of eggs inside at various levels of development. When I re-read my Chicken Health For Dummies chapter, discovered these were ovaries. My husband says you can eat them fried up with the organ meats. I'll pass on that and let him eat them. Anyhow, it's good to learn something new and as mentioned by others, good to have a sense of where our food comes from and the life/death continuum, and being responsible for the butchering the meat we eat. Increases the sense of respect for the food.