addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › new to raising chickens

new to raising chickens

A former member
Post #: 1
For many years now i have had this idea about raising chickens for their eggs. Well im moving forward with that idea, but im stuck on what i need besides the chicken coop. Im turning an old dog house into a coop, i got the idea from some diy. Im in the Pasadena area, and im not really suppose to have any, but where these birds will go, no one can see or will bother anyone.

What type of hen would you guys suggest for a newbie?
any other advice is welcomed.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 594
hi Esbeban,
welcome to the group! There are more than a few members in this forum who have commented that, if they had known HOW MUCH WORK is it to own chickens, for the purpose of eggs, no way they would have done it...

In my case, chickens just happened in my life and wasn't for the eggs... but it IS SO MUCH work... so I commend you for doing research before getting into it...

There is so much about raising chickens... the first thing I suggest is browse thru all the topics we post here on this forum just so that you get an idea of what is going on in our worlds with chickens... WE ADORE THEM, but it is so much work... I equate for each chicken is as having a pet like a dog... so if you get 5 chickens is like having 5 dogs, but in general, chickens have lots of more frequent health issues... and they die...

so what you should consider besides the type of chickens is:
1. DO not get chicks that you don't know the sex, otherwise you get attach to a boy and they boy is attach to your family and you have to give him up and it's almost impossible to find a home...
2. the whole security thing... there are so many predators.. so you need not only your coop to be well built and high up so that they can roost like birds like to, but the area you keep them during the day needs to be coyote and hawk and dog proof...
3. their food and what is the best for them to keep them healthy
4. consider the expense of Vets or how you are going to deal with illnesses.

many others hopefully will join in - again, browse thru the topics and you will see what you need to prepare yourself.

There are many joys to having chickens... I adore my babies (all adults, boys and girls, more than 30 total), but I would not choose to have chickens just for the eggs... lot cheaper to get them from your local farms, fresh and organic...

If you have time for them, great... but consider these factors so that you are well prepared.

I know I didn't give you specifics on coops/run areas/food... etc... but there is plenty posted... just search the key words on the main page of this forum and your will find plenty... but ask us and we will be happy to answer,

again, welcome to the group and we will support you if you get your chickens :)
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 70
In addition to our message board, I learned tons on Pinterest. Search on their "chicken" boards. My Pet Chicken has good information on the breeds/eggs/laying frequency/temperaments/etc. although I wouldn't order from them again. I opted for Wyandottes, Orpingtons and Australorpes. Good temperaments, do well in smaller spaces, very good layers of brown eggs. They are large, beautiful birds but may not be the best for free ranging because they are not preditor savy. Locally, people have had good luck with Dare 2 Dream Farms in Lompoc (they deliver but don't vaccinate) and Chickens Galore in Norco (they vaccinate and only take cash). And I agree...do your research before you make your final decision. It is a lot of work, it's expensive, things happen, and it's a big commitment. They do, however, give me lots of joy!
A former member
Post #: 3
Laura,
Thanks for commenting. Although the eggs will be something rewarding from raising these chickens, its not the main reason I'm going forward with it. Although my original post did say that. I understand that it would be extremely cheaper to buy eggs at the grocery store. I understand that chickens require the same vet care as any other pet.

I will look through all the posts, thanks.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 351
Hi Esteban - another great resource is backyardchickens.com . That is where I learned nearly everything I needed to know. But before you start, since you mention that you are in the Pasadena area, does that mean you are in the city limits? If so, please educate yourself about the city code, and make sure you know your neighbors and neighborhood before you start. If you are in violation, and if any one of your neighbors decides to be assertive, you might get a visit from Animal Control. Know ahead of time how you will cope if the officers make you get rid of your hens (which is their job, not their choice). More importantly, if you live in Pasadena, and if you haven't already, please sign my petition to get the city code changed, so that you will be more likely to have a chance at doing this legally. Here's the link: change.org

Best wishes, and check back if you need any help/advice/support.
Cynthia
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Cynthia- I stumbled upon bayardchickens.com a couple of days ago, and it has been so helpful. I have plenty of 5 gallon buckets at work with no use. I will be using one as a water feeder.

Im not within in city code, but i also a large enough side yard where it will be nearly impossible to be detected by anyone. The fence reaches nearly 9 ft tall, so i doubt any chickens will be free to roam off the property, if by chance one got out of the enclosed run that I plan on building. I ran into someone at the farmers market on Saturday who represents this website http://cluckinpasaden...­, and i signed her petition, not sure if that is the same one. She mention she was not in compliance as well, and in a way im glad im not going to be the only until the code changes.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 352
LOL that was me, Esteban! Thanks for signing! Yes, there are a few of us under the radar, but there are also people who have had their hens taken away by animal control, so we really need to get this passed. Good luck with your birds - make sure to build them safe housing for night time - you'll have raccoons, possums, neighborhood dogs and hawks, and maybe even coyotes to contend with. We do get them all in Pasadena (not coyotes so much, but it's better to be prepared than to have to replace your flock). Build it strong and tight the first time and you won't have to do it again. Also, make sure to build it so you can easily keep it clean - the best way to get to keep our hens is to be good neighbors. Keep your feed in metal containers, etc. Most important, have fun!
Joselle Celine G.
joselleceline
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 20
My three Silkies are my three poodles. In fact, I call them my chickadoodles. I live in Sherman Oaks, they free range by day in my backyard and live in a secured coop at night. I've had them for a year and a half and have already had several minor health issues, but there are facebook groups with veterinarians who generously coached me through it all. The chickens amuse me and feed my soul, as well as sometimes giving me breakfast. I bought one of those Chicken Raising For Dummies books first, then learned as I went along by asking questions of the fb groups I belong to, as well as posting questions here and on Backyard Chickens. I think chickens make great pets!
Marie M.
user 45254602
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 55
Hi Esteban - Welcome! Although I have had chickens for well over a year and have had several different breeds, I still feel like a newbie. I don't know a tenth of what everyone else knows on this board but I have learned quite a lot from everyone here. I have and have had silkies, buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandotte, brahmas, polish, cuckoo maran, salmon favorelle and an EE. Starting out, I would strongly suggest the buff orpingtons. I have had 3 and all 3 have been just wonderful, docile, mild mannered creatures. They lay about 4 eggs a week. Everyone I know that has had them say the same thing about their temperament. My smallest gal, Penny, will sleep on my chest while I watch TV. Another one I have found to be nice is brahmas. I have a 4 week old and she is so sweet. Willow is a light brahma but they have buff, as well. Both of these are on the quiet side as some breeds do like to let the world know they or anyone else in the coop has laid an egg. Good luck and enjoy!!