Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Two boy ducks

Two boy ducks

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 624
So now i know that we have two boy ducks. They love each other and groom each other and swim and run to each other. Even though they are huge, they are scared of the hens so we have kept them inside till they get older and braver. Today i realized that they are boys from their feathers and i wonder if hormones will kick in and make them go after the hens. I've read that two boys can be friendly forever but i wonder how well they will do with all the lady chickens????
Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 120
Hi, so cute that they groom each other! From my observation of having 1 male duck and numerous female chickens, and from 1 blog I read that seemed to fit my scenario, here is my guess.. not a definite, but a possible outcome:

I think that it's good that your ducks and hens are separated right now, don't mix them yet, don't let them bond and become friends yet, because if they do, I think male ducks will grow up to see female hens as female ducks and try to mate with them when they're older. My male Sydney (a drake = male duck) grew up with 1 female duck and 2 female hens. He ended up being VERY aggressive toward my 1 passive/non-alpha-female hen, and a little aggressive toward the one alpha female hen, however since the alpha female was very feisty, he left her alone. When I got more female hens, he never bothered them, he totally ignores them, so it may be because he grew up with the two he bothered and saw them as female ducks. However, two more factors... When Sydney fell one time and got tangled under a planter leg, I think the hens were mean to him, pecked at him, so that may be another reason he was was aggressive toward that one hen. Another factor... I have female ducks, so he herds them around and mates with one of them, the one he has known the longest, so I don't know what will happen since you have no female ducks.

I am currently incubating 4 duck eggs, so that I can give 2 ducklings to Pye who wants them. If all 4 eggs survive, you can have them, and maybe one will be a female. I need to find a home for the 2 extra ducklings IF all 4 eggs hatch.