align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Organic Soy Free feed?

Organic Soy Free feed?

Allison Z.
user 10839075
Torrance, CA
Post #: 7
What does everyone think about organic soy free feed?
Just been researching this and would like some comments. Do you think soy free is important?
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 12
I use a soy free, corn free feed for my chickens because of the argument that most of the soy that is available today is from GM seed/plants. Also the hormone link associated with soy I wanted to give my chicks as organic a start as possible while allowing for optimal nutrition.

Unfortunately, I could not find that kind of feed here in California and I was willing to drive great distances for it. I ended up buying Countryside Natural feed and having it shipped from NC. My chicks love it and so do I.

I am also planting some pasture forage seed (from groworganic.com) to help them out in the pasture free feeding department too.
Allison Z.
user 10839075
Torrance, CA
Post #: 8
Vickie,
Thanks so much for the reply! Is the shipping outrageous?
Just went on there, I checked them out yesterday! There is also a place in Washington http://www.rainbowegg...­ .
But I can't afford to pay all that shipping!

The pasture forage seed is sooo cool. We have a big grass yard and flowerbeds, do you think that is enough for them? And what do you do with that seed just sprinkle it around? I feel like the girls would just eat it all up the second it sprouted!
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 14
Hi Allison,

I know the shipping is higher than the product price but that's what we have to pay to get specialized stuff, unless, we learn how to grind the recipe ourselves. I am sure it is not hard ... it's just the mixture that I would be concerned about.

I am going to keep my two hens away from the proposed pasture seed area to give it some time to get established. I understand the grasses, grains are strong willed and will re-seed themselves...so the girls may be able to top off the plants but they'll keep coming back!

I don't know if I would just let the hens depend on the forage seed mix. To make sure that proper nutrition is reached I rely on the feed mix and treats!!
Allison Z.
user 10839075
Torrance, CA
Post #: 9
I just got an email back from the rainbow egg farms lady in washington. Her soy free mix is $30 for 20 # and free shipping.
But at that size I guess you are looking at the same price for your 50# bag plus the expensive shipping. HHmmmm..

dilemma...

Wonder why we can't find the "good stuff" down here!!!!???

Guess I will just have to compare ingredients!

Countryside Natural Products : Organic Soy-Free Layer Feed, 50 lb.

Crude protein, minimum.................................­.............15.00%
Crude fat, minimum.................................­......................2.00%
Crude fiber, maximum.................................­..................7.00%

INGREDIENTS
Organic Field Peas, Organic Wheat, Organic Corn, Organic Oats, Calcium Carbonate, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Organic Kelp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement,
Vitamin E Supplement, Choline, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin,
Folic Acid, Iron Polysaccharide Complex, Manganese Polysaccharide Complex, Zinc Polysaccharide Complex,
Copper Polysaccharide Complex, Cobalt Polysaccharide Complex, Yeast Culture, , Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Bacillus Licheniformis, Bacillus Subtilis, Lactobacillus Lactis, Enterococcus Faecium, (Dried Aspergillis Oryzae Ferm

VS

Rainbow Egg Farms : Layer Pellets
Wheat, oats, barley, field peas, fishmeal, alfalfa, flax seed, kelp, live yeast culture (brewers’ yeast), natural amino acids, vitamins and minerals.

Here is a nutritional breakdown of ingredients:
Crude Protein 19%
Lysine (essential amino acid, part of the protein) .95%
Methionine (essential amino acid) .3%
Fat 3%
Calcium 3%
Phosphorus .62%

Well maybe it will have to be a blind taste test instead?

Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 15
OH ALLISON!!! FREE SHIPPING!!! I never thought that would happen! Thank you for finding out.....hmm, I will have to buy some to see if my pullets would like a change in taste!

I am just at the end of the starter bag from Countryside....
A former member
Post #: 177
Guess I will just have to compare ingredients!

Has anyone compared them? Unlike Modesto's (link), Rainbow's does not seem to contain canola, which some say is unsafe but I am not sure (link 1 | link 2). Rainbow's contains flax seed but Modesto makes it a separate item (link; h/t Sam­). Flax seed is very healthy. You can find it in your local supermarket and add to feed. I am not sure about the proportion; will have to look it up.

Rainbow only sells pellets (what size?), while Modesto sells both pellets and crumbles. Some hens will not touch pellets, preferring mesh or crumbles instead, so given the option you may want to try it for a few days first. Crumbles are similar to pellets but usually smaller. "Usually" because one vendor may market an item as pellets but it is another vendor's crumbles size. Whether crumbles or pellets, chickens can't pick and choose from the "salad bowl" because each one looks the same, so they get a complete nutrition.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 177
Sometime ago, someone here posted an entry sharing with us how she and her husband make their own feed --- they buy the separate ingredients and mix them --- I wish they read this post and share with us again --- I'm completely ready to do something like that.

Marty is correct, some hens will not touch pellets. In my case, no hen and no rooster does. I wasted my money buying lots of the organic feed from Modesto Mills, pellets that my chickens completely ignored. They looked at me like if I was crazy offering them that 'junk' - I tried mixing it with other stuff. I tried mixing it with water. Nothing.

The mix they ADORE has corn, soy, and animal products in it - I figured for now, they win. They are not vegetarians by nature anyway, so I don't want them to be either. It would be unnatural. So, when I learn to make my own 'delicious' mix for them, of healthy stuff, combined with my producing worms, maybe then, I can't eliminate that feed I'm giving them now...
A former member
Post #: 181
Thanks Laura. I like the idea of preparing your own, because based on this message board alone one person likes/dislikes corn, canola, soy, gluten, etc and this way (1) you know what goes into the feed and (2) can choose substitutes.

Will have to look up the sites; for now I found a few posts on here referring to DIY.

Buying Food (Link) > Carrie Gaston, Posted Jan 16, 2012 7:37 AM Unread

We have been sprouting whole grains to feed our chickens. We buy 50 lb. bags from Red Barn of barley, oats, wheat, and corn. The flax seed comes in smaller 25 lb. bags I think. The sprouted grains provide extra protein. There's a cool website that my husband found that talks as bout how to do it, but everyone will come up with the best fit for their chickens I'm sure. (We started with a balanced mix, then saw what the chickens were eating and adjusted the mix accordingly. The corn we pretty much put in the blender to add to their dry food now.) We also feed them a mixture of dry grains that we add flax seed to. The flax seed adds omega 3 and/or 6 (?) and changes the yolk to a beautiful orange color. They forage for bugs in the yard (that provides calcium). We give them Swiss chard and lots of other greens. I give them whole grain breads, cooked rice, strawberries, etc., that are leftover

Where can we get bulk grains? (link) > Victoria Fisk, Posted Jun 16, 2012 12:21 AM Unread

Roberta,
I buy bulk grains for my chickens and mix my own feed for them. I have bulk food store in my area called WinCo. You can buy anything bulk there, and not just grains. I buy wheat, oats, barley, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, millet, brown rice, quinoa and other grains. Most come in 25 pounds bags, but some in 50. And you can have choice of organic or not.
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 233
Thanks Marty for the links ... I have been thinking of trying to mix/sprout for the girls. Laura what brand of feed do you use? I am trying other brands because I really want to find something local (as in Southern Cal) and something that ALL of them will eat! My girls HATE pellets too....kind of wish I would've started them on it from the beginning. I hate sweeping the waste up every night.

Have you tried min pellets? There are a few millers who make them, unfortunately they are out of state.