You should come to this talk if you code in ANY language, or if you're a founder evaluating technologies.
What's so great about PHP? Well, you have to come to the meetup to get the full info, but here's why we're having this talk. PHP is:
- Very widely used.
- There are a lot of PHP programmers.
- There is a lot of PHP code available.
- When you have an issue or question and you google it or search on Stackoverflow, you will get tons of answers.
- Every level of commercial hosting offers PHP, and they usually get it right.
- PHP is great for prototyping and developing web services and web apps even though your primary language is something else.
- PHP doesn't require heavy-duty server resources.
- PHP is the "P" in LAMP, the primary platform (along with dotNet) on the net (LAMP= Linux Apache MySQL PHP). It's the glue holding half the internet together.
Jorge Garifuna is the pres of the LAMPSIG meetup and an awesome presenter - yes there will be code. He previously presented PhoneGap at LADUG and it was one of our most popular events.
His outline for Thursday goes like this (amazing scope for one night):
- What is PHP
- When and why use PHP
- Setting up your PHP environment
- Creating and testing your first PHP program
- Connecting and querying the MySQL database
- Processing forms with PHP
- Connecting to facebook and twitter with PHP
- Speeding up prototyping with Quick Web Application Builder (QWAB)
- Hosting resources
- Transferring your PHP files to the server
- Useful PHP resources
He might even have time to show us an awesome tool he created for PHP so we're going to start on time. COME EARLY!
Jorge Garifuna's business is at http://www.GariDigital.com
The event will be sponsored by TrueBridge Resources, a boutique agency focused on primarily assisting premiere companies fill their application development positions. (Thank-you Gaurav Valani, Senior Recruiter) TrueBridge's site is at www.TrueBridgeResources.com