addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Louisville Permaculture Guild Message Board › Banana tress

Banana tress

phyllis
user 101040992
Louisville, KY
Post #: 6
Anyone wanting a banana tree let me know, I have so many and willing to share.
Happy Spring to all
phyllis
user 101040992
Louisville, KY
Post #: 7
Hi Sarah
I will attempt to describe these banana trees. There are two types. One type does not have to be taken out of the ground and the other one does. Unfortunately, I do have the type that have to be removed each year by digging out the bulb. The bulb is not so large that it's unmanageable and it must be kept inside not in an outbuilding.

I have been growing them since 1998. The first year my plant got to a 28 inch circumference with a height of 17 feet and it did bear fruit. The flowers are of a pink color and drop a sticky substance of sugar. The fruit did not get very large as they were about the size you see in Kroger stores next to the regular bananas of about 3 inches long. The leaves can get to 5 feet long and 2 feet wide.
Throughout the winter months I may water the bulb with a sprinkling of water..thinking it gives them hope for a new year in the Spring. I keep them in a dark cool spot in the basement or have even kept them growing in the winter in the house in large pots.

My daughter did try to eat one and said they were a tad bitter but palatable.

Last year I sent nearly 150 of the banana trees to the zoo for the animals and for them to plant at the zoo.
I want to plant mine at least a foot or better deep this year to see what happens and leave them in the ground to see if they come back next year. Not sure why I haven't tried this before but each year they produce what are called pups and they continue to multiply.

I would say they are at best a novelty but with the changing climates one can never tell what may happen.
The one I started with was about 4 feet tall and about 3 inch circumference and that was the one I spoke of previously.

I love them because of their tolerance to heat and they stature. They are exotic and billow with the wind and the leaves can be used to cook with. I have sold some of the leaves in the past to restaurants and they keep requesting more.

Lastly, I will say that they are very easy to grow. They love the wind and water.
If anyone is still interested please let me know. I am giving them away because I am getting ready to move and have a lot more stuff to take care of. I do plan to keep a few but not all.