addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Michigan Indian Social Group Message Board › Movie night at my place (Gareeb-khana) - Dec 8, 2012 - cancelled.

Movie night at my place (Gareeb-khana) - Dec 8, 2012 - cancelled.

A former member
Post #: 6
Updated: All feedback noted. Event will not be scheduled.
Updated: To see if more interest is generated. If we want to get together in the evening, get Pizza and watch movie, that works too.
------------------------------
Just checking if people are interested to come in and watch super duper hit Hindi movie. It will of course be re-run for all. The idea is to get together and enjoy.
Start at 9:00PM
Finish around midnight. North Indian style masala chai is on me.
Together we will decide Title of the movie to watch.
If this goes well, next time, I will host for English title.
Please indicate your seriousness to come and I will post an actual event.
Thank you!
A former member
Post #: 7
190 members total. 16 reads on the topic!
Not sure if message is reaching all the members or its reaching and there is no interest.
I am looking for suggestions.
How can I make it easier?
Thanks
Angela
UberLiciousArt
Merrill, MI
Post #: 18
Namaste......
Dharmendra,
I support your efforts completely. I have always wondered why this group seems to have little interest in doing things together.
I was so pleased to hear discussions starting early in October for Diwali... I thought it would mean organizing early so we could really celebrate Indian style! And that many could make arrangements to attend.
In the end....you saw the results.
So I cannot offer any suggestions as I myself cannot understand.

All MeetUp groups that myself or others I know are or have been a part of seem to have lots of get togethers and do many fun, interesting & intellectually stimulating MeetUp events!
Museums, holiday parties, movie nights, community holiday events, attending interesting lectures on a myriad of topics, pot lucks for no specific reason just to enjoy one anothers company, weekend mini trips, nature excursions.... so many different possibilities!

This has been the biggest mystery to me since joining!
So, my support is here for you ... I will always contribute as I can and am eager to! :)

Pamela
user 48558772
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 2
Namaste! I would love to watch a movie with the gang, but unfortunately I have a conflict. I hope one of these days we can all get together to watch a movie. By the way, there is a Bollywood meetup that gets together to watch bollywood movies in movie theatres, which is also nice!
Andrew
thirdreel
Group Organizer
White Lake, MI
Post #: 79
I guess I can see why people are reluctant to go to someone's house if they haven't met the person before... it could be awkward and uncomfortable. And I am certainly reluctant to invite people I haven't met to my house. Plus, so many members of this group are with families, so when they read this instead of saying "Yes! I'm in!" they think "I will have to check with my wife/husband/partner/kids."

So this is why I like doing weeknight events at restaurants. A weeknight is easier for me to schedule because my partner and my temple friends don't have anything I need to do then, and it's less awkward if I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time with the strangers from Meetup. And having it at a restaurant means I don't have to invite those strangers to my house or go to their houses, don't have to decide how much to cook for them or what to bring, etc.

I'd be a lot more excited about a potential movie night if I knew several people I'd met were going--if the people at the house party were people who came to our Diwali meeting at the Canton Temple, or the event I invited people to at Aahar, or one of the movie events we've scheduled in a theater. We've had things going on, but I guess some people are waiting for the exact thing they want at the exact time and place that is convenient for them. It's going to take compromise.
shikha
user 8029713
Farmington, MI
Post #: 15
I agree with you Andrew. Dharmendra. Not sure if you received my text , but I guess that's most people" s dilemma.
A former member
Post #: 9
Every opinion is valued and respected. Good discussion so far.
My 2 cents, every friend I have today, was unknown to me sometime in the past. Everyone’s comfort level varies to allow “unknown” to be introduced to you. This is but one of the several ways I choose to extend an opportunity through a common thread and theme of this group.
I initiated the discussion with, “Just checking if people are interested…” I will learn and adapt if there no significant interest.
Andrew
thirdreel
Group Organizer
White Lake, MI
Post #: 80
True. I think one of the big lessons of Meetup is that the process of discovering takes trial and error. You have to suggest some ideas and see if people are interested, and learn from the experience if they aren't. We'll keep suggesting things, and some of them will come to something, and some won't.

But I do think people are unpredictable enough that you need events that can scale to different size groups. Dinner at Aahar was nice with ten people, but it would have been just as nice with a smaller group. Potlucks and house parties don't scale well, though; too few people and it's an empty house, too many people and it's a crowd. Those are the kind of things I think about when scheduling an event.
shikha
user 8029713
Farmington, MI
Post #: 17
Dec is always busy time for folks. Let"s not take lack of interest as part of negative lesson learnt. I am thinking this time all of us can do a Super Bowl meet up at some sports bar. That way members will have some time off and be ready to participate next year