Midwest Geeks Message Board › Protecting Your Content - How to keep control of your code after the client

Protecting Your Content - How to keep control of your code after the client has it.

Danielle Rae
ElleRae
Group Organizer
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 330
For many sites I do I have to upload the code to the client's site before they pay the final installment. However, a couple of times this as resulted in me being burned by the client. They don't pay but have all of my code.

Do any of you have suggestions (other than to keep the code on my server) on how I can put a backdoor in my code so I can easily lock it and encrypt it or delete it with the 'press of a button' or the login and password of a secret nature?
A former member
Post #: 1
I don't know? Can Javascript have a delete timer?
Pedro Albea
TheLanyard
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 3
PHP has an unlink function that deletes files. Maybe build in additional permissions for your specific login that could provide a "wipe system" option. You could use readdir() in conjunction with other files such as is_dir(), file_exists(), and unlink() to wipe targeted files from the system.

I'm not sure how ethical it is, but I guess if they're purposely ripping you off, they shouldn't get access to the final product anyway.

A more tamer version would be to use chmod() to remove read permissions for key files so that the application breaks. Unless they have a unix-savvy staff member, I doubt they would be able to solve that one too easily.