Madison Live Music Meetup Message Board › organizer?

organizer?

Ken
user 10992199
Madison, WI
Post #: 60
Hi everyone,

Is anyone considering being an organizer?

Here are my thoughts:

There are clearly a lot of people who are interested in live music. Almost 700 members.

I think there are some key reasons we've never really gelled into a solid group:

1. There are a lot of different tastes in the events we want to see. Some like rock, others dancing, others large concerts, others small coffee houses. That's all understandable, but it fractures us, and reduces that 700 a lot.

2. Geography: some like just downtown, or just east, or just west. Parking isn't always ideal at some venues.

3. Timing: not every group or venue promotes far in advance. I know I don't hear of some shows until the Thursday before the weekend. That's too short of notice to expect much turnout.

4. Here's one of the biggest reasons: we don't know each other. I know when I schedule a music event, I do it through Energizers first. I know people there. I really think if we could solve, if we could meet and get to know each other better, it would improve attendance a lot.

This is all just my opinion. Past organizers have done a good job in trying to address these things. We've scheduled "get-to-know-you" MeetUps. Communication has been excellent. People have been made welcome, and have had every opportunity to participate.

Still, for whatever reason, we just haven't reached the point where 20 or 30 people will attend an event.

Is anyone considering being the organizer? I really like what this group could be. I love live music. Madison offers a lot.

It would be great if we got to the point where we would contact favorite local artists, and have private concerts, just for us. If we could get 30-40 people, I'm sure that would happen. It would be a lot of fun.

Ken
Matt J.
user 54534502
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
Hi Ken!
Everything you mentioned could definitely be factors in why event attendance has leveled off. I'd be happy to work with you and the other co-organizers to try and get the shows lined up farther in advance.

If interested, let's chat! :)
Matt
Laura K
user 13667951
Madison, WI
Post #: 28
I love the idea of doing a meet & greet. I find it somewhat intimidating trying to find people I haven't met before at a dark venue where you can't hear what anyone is saying! Do you guys think any of the members are musicians/poets/etc? I'd like to suggest doing a bonfire that can double as an open mic night? I went to a bon fire/pot luck at Blue Mounds State Park with another group last year and it was pretty well attended. Or, keep it simple and do a drinks or dinner meeting so members can meet and also express some of their ideas on where they'd like to see the group go.

Just my 2-cents worth. Let me know if I can help!
Matt J.
user 54534502
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 3
The meet-n-greet would definitely be a great idea. Just assuming that our members are scattered around enough, maybe we set something up for downtown? I know for a fact that there are several musicians in this group, so the idea of maybe making it a private party at a downtown venue with an open mic / acoustic jam as background music would keep things in the spirit of this group.

I would be willing to discuss the idea with The Brink Lounge or maybe the High Noon. It would depend on the date and time so as not to create scheduling conflicts with performances and acts that might be a better fit for the venue we choose. Other thoughts or ideas are definitely welcome though.
Jan T
user 23290761
Madison, WI
Post #: 2
I'm up for a meet and greet. Te brink is a great pace for this. Perhaps we could meet an hour or two before a show sometime.