Massimo Bruno's Italian Supper Club Message Board › Puglia Wine Recommendation

Puglia Wine Recommendation

Andrea S.
user 8236047
East York, ON
Hello everyone,

I hope you have been saving your appetite for Friday, I was looking at the menu this morning and getting hungry just thinking about all of the wonderful food to come! So what is better with good food but good wine, so to that end, Massimo has some words to inspire your choices for Friday...

Directly from Massimo:

You might don't know but Puglia is the biggest wine producer of Italy with 35% of italian production...not bad!

Puglia has many varieties of grapes, the most famous one is the Primitivo, which is the Italian Zinfandel or better, Zinfandel is the American Primitvo. Another great variety is Negramaro, very popular in the south of Puglia, while Nero di Troia variety is more popular in the north of Puglia.

Primitivo it's easy to find at LCBO store, usually a good one starts at $15, there is a famous one that they carry sometime, it's called Tradizione del Nonno, however, it's a very high alcohol wine (16%), so it will go better as an after meal wine. They also carry a good variety of Negramaro, the most popular is the Mezzomondo for $9, it's good but not the best, if you go to a bigger LCBO they'll have probably some more choices. Regarding the Nero di Troia, it's usually hard to find however a couple of the larger one (Summerhill or Lakeshore) carry a wine called "Il Falcone", around $24, it's a great dinner wine. Another wine I forgot to mention, wich comes from south of Puglia, it's called Salice Salentino, a good one starts at $13.

Puglia has also some of the best Southern Italian white with variety called Verdeca or Malvasia bianca, however it is usually very hard to find in LCBO. If you like White try to find a Puglia white Pinot Grigio, or if not, try to buy a Southern Italian White from either Sicily or Campania. If you have trouble finding any of these, just bring along your favourite Italian wine!

I hope this help and looking for to see you on Friday.

ciao ciao

massimo