Massimo Bruno's Italian Supper Club Message Board › Post your compliments here...

Post your compliments here...

A former member
Post #: 1
As I looked through the discussion board, I noticed Andrea was the ONLY author posting here...c'mon foodies!!!

There's something about Massimo's Italian Supper Club that makes dining so much more than merely the food on the plate. Okay...the food on Massimo's plates IS spectacular, but I was equally impressed with his PASSION for both the food and the region from where it originated. Granted, Massimo simply reading his grocery list, with his thick Italian accent, would make me salivate, but his obvious passion for what he does is definitely transferred onto the plate as well. That's not the case at a fancy steakhouse or the corner pizza parlor or any other owner operated restaurant.

There's NO WAY the owner/chef would come out and provide information regarding the origin of the dish, a bit (okay...a lot) of humor, and then proceed to knock your socks off with a meal that you simply can't find anywhere else in Toronto.

For those of you that are not Italian, THOSE are the plates we Italians grew up with; THOSE were the glasses we used; THAT Moffat stove was in each of our houses; THAT stovetop espresso pot was commonplace in all our homes! For those of you that are not Italian, the attention to detail that Massimo & Andrea have put into this experience is...uncanny. I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure there was no slipper being hurled at me every time I topped off my glass! MOFFAT! That floored me the most!!!

And the communal dining table allows friendships to start (try some of OUR wine...have some of MY grappa) and hopefully fluorish. Dining this way is fairly new here, but THAT'S how we ate when families got together...asking the uncle to pass the pasta, or the cousin to top off your glass. Every meal was a feast...a reason to celebrate.

I can't think of anywhere else in Toronto that I've "celebrated" a meal quite like I did at MBISC. You can put Massimo in any of the City's best restaurant kitchens, pumping out the same food, yet the meal just wouldn't be the same. We've found GOLD people!

It's probably been overstated, but this was truly an Italian dining experience. I have paid four or five times as much for a meal that wasn't even a quarter as enjoyable.

Concept...6 (out of five). Food...6 (out of five). Atmosphere...6 (out of five).