Melbourne Web Accessibility & Inclusive Design Message Board › Getting started with web accessibility

Getting started with web accessibility

Adem C.
user 14204439
Group Organizer
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 2
Hi guys,

I often get asked where people can go for information when looking to get started with web accessibility.

This time, before I send them to my default, WebAIM - http://webaim.org/int...­ I thought I'd ask you guys the same question.

So, where would you guys send people looking to get started with web accessibility?

Thanks,
Adem
Adam L.
user 54954132
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
This is a really great point Adem, as it can be quite a minefield out there. A simple link to the WCAG2.0 is a lot to take in, but I've found WCAG2.0 at a Glance to be a reasonably simple high-level explanation of the four guiding principles of WCAG2.0, Perceivable, Operable, Understandable and Robust. It's not enough to stop there however, and this page links back to the sections of the WCAG2.0 for the brave and the bold!

A few years ago, I wrote a short blog post,WCAG2.0 - Ask yourself four questions that attempts to look at the principles differently.

I also wrote another post Five tips on working with the WCAG2.0, which were little observations I found while working on learning resources with writers who needed a little guidance in certain areas.

These blog posts are almost two years old now, so the thinking in them might be slightly out of date, but I hope they could be a step in the right direction for those starting out.