Metroplex Atheists Message Board Metroplex Atheists Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Cross of Jesus found (yeah, right!)

Cross of Jesus found (yeah, right!)

A former member
Post #: 1
It seems that Turkish archeologists believe they may have found of piece of the cross of Jesus. http://news.yahoo.com...­
Since there is no evidence for "Jesus" having existed, these archeologists lose all credibility when they find a piece of wood in a stone chest and then suggest that the piece of wood is from the cross of Jesus. I do not know how these people can call themselves scientists.
Not M.
user 119992132
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Actually, there is a piece of Jesus' flesh -- his foreskin -- stored at the Church of Holy Name of Jesus in Rome which honored the occasion of naming and circumcision of Jesus - eight days after his birth. Of course IT has shriveled almost to nothing :). As they say, "use it or lose it" ! :).
Gretchen B.
user 12046956
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 10
There were hundreds of 'Messiahs' walking around in 1st century Palestine. Perhaps the gospel version of Jesus was a composite character.
My personal theory... The pro-Roman, anti- Jewish gospel stories were concocted and post-dated, under the patronage of the Flavians more than 40 yrs after the alleged events occurred as a form of pacification and crowd control. Pax Romana. Keep the peace and keep the taxes paid.Robert Atwill makes a compelling case for this theory in his book, "Caesar's Messiah".

A chunk of wood, found in a stone chest in Turkey. Obviously it is part of a cross used during an execution in Palestine, circa 1st century c.e. And not just any execution, but a particular one. Sure. Based on what ? I read the article and this makes no sense to me, I am not a scientist. Have I missed something?

My understanding of that period in history is hundreds of crucifixions, perhaps thousands. Were each of the crosses single use only? It seems unlikely. Unless there were forests nearby, where did the Romans acquire that much wood?

Speaking of wood, there is a video link in the article for another story. It seems there is an icon of Jesus on the cross in a church in Albuquerque causing a stir. I didn't see the erection in the news video the first time. Some older ladies in the congregation were interviewed and thought it was wonderful.