addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

A former member
Post #: 3
cool

My wife thought it was pretty funny. Thanks for the set up.

Rob
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi folks!

I enjoy reading and writing fantasy and science fiction. I?m married, Canadian and we have been living in the Twin Cities for 6 years now. I have been participating in online writing groups (OWW and Gather.com) but I felt it was time to meet with fellow writers face to face, in real time.laughing

I have written one unpublished novel: The Portal

One-sentence summary: A hostile force from a dimension powered by magic invades America during the early stages of the first Gulf War.

I am working on a few other novels:

Flame: An artifact retrieved from Atlantis is actually an alien that can read minds and uses fire as a weapon.

Nanuk: A young boy?s father goes through the ice of Hudson Bay and three days later is visited by a polar bear in his bedroom.

I also have some short stories in the pipe.

I look forward to meeting everyone!
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 358
Welcome! It sounds like you have some exciting novel concepts - - I hope we'll get to see or hear some excerpts.

There are quite a few novelists in the group now, so you will have plenty of other writers to compare notes with on novel writing and marketing.

I look forward to meeting you soon.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 8,176
Welcome, Gedin.

You'll find several other OWWers (and OWW alumni) in this group. I look forward to meeting you.

Hmm
Cjad E.
Cjad
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 72
Welcome to the group Rob and gedin. Please let us know if you have any questions. Hopefully we'll meet you two soon.
-Cjad
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello all -

I'm Andrew. I'm a programmer for a large corporation here in the Twin Cities. I am relatively new to writing and, quite frankly, don't precisely know what I'm doing.

I write what I call epic fantasy, although I have heard it called high fantasy as well. So far, I have not been published, but that may have something to do with not finishing (thus not submitting) any work... wink

I'm a pretty busy guy, so I don't know how many events I will be able to attend. A car accident left me with damaged vertebral discs and a lifelong prescription for working out to avoid problems later in life, so I run, lift, and swim as necessary. I am also a jazz musician, playing trumpet once a month at a local pub in St. Paul with an ensemble I've been a member of since college. Throw in a three-year-old and another on the way, and I don't get much time to do anything else! So, I'll do my best, but we'll have to see how this all works out.

Finally, I'm a veteran of a number of message boards, so I'd just like to voice my pleasure at seeing one where everyone can type and put together a coherent sentence. smile
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 8,454
Welcome Andrew!

I do hope that you can make it to some of our events. Writing is a lonely business, and I've really enjoyed the people I've met through the group.

Finally, I'm a veteran of a number of message boards, so I'd just like to voice my pleasure at seeing one where everyone can type and put together a coherent sentence.

Thank you! I hope to see more of you on here, too.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 69
Hello all,

Just a re-intro: My name is Karl and I am an Assistant Organizer of the group. I live in the southern climes of Minnesota (meaning Rochester).

I'm currently working on an "urban fantasy" novel, Dirty Sun.

I'm also working on a vampire story set during the Crucifixion. I will read from it this weekend at the workshop. (Shameless plug!)

I'm also working on an erotic novel cycle. The first few chapters have already been posted online (see Acceptance Log for details). Mainly "for the love of the art."

I'm also planning to write a fairy story. Still in its rudimentary world-building stages.

Karl
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi! I'm Nancy. I joined this group back in February 2006, but have been mostly inactive. I'm crawling out of the shadows to re-introduce myself and (hopefully) be a little more active.

It took me almost six years and I don't know how many drafts to finish my first novel, an other-world fantasy, in January of this year. Even now it's not really done, though -- it's riddled with plotholes, inconsistencies and all sorts of issues. I'm letting it sit for a year before I decide whether it's worth doing yet another draft or if I should permanently shelve it. (At a reading a few years ago, John Sandford said something to the effect of every writer needing to write a shitty first novel that no one will ever see, just for the sake of learning the process...I don't know that that's true for literally every writer, but I suspect it's true for me!)

My second novel, which I'm currently working on, is a vastly different beast. It's an alternate historical fantasy loosely based on the life of Elizabeth I, and while it certainly has its quirks and issues, the overall process for this novel has been much better and smoother than the first novel's. It seems that I have indeed actually learned something...

I had one short story published back in 2004, but have been so focused on novels the past few years that I've let the short stories slide.

Let's see, what else...I have 8-year-old twin daughters, two dogs, one husband...I'm an amateur photographer, a period history buff, love to read, garden, cook, travel...I work for a legal publisher but that will be changing soon as I've quit my job and will be done effective Friday (June 29)! Plans for the summer include having a ton of fun with my kids and completing my second novel's third draft.

I'm a member of an online novel writing group, which has been really helpful, but I'd like to start getting more involved with the local scene. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you! :-)
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 8,589
Nancy --

How wonderful to have you step back into activity with the group!

We'd love a chance to meet you.

Hmm