addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Travis T.
user 9743588
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 10
Hello,

I've been a member of this Meetup group for quite some time, but have not actually attended any of the meetups. I'm wanting to change that.

I'm starting from scratch: never published, never written more than a few chapters of a novel I never completed. To say I'm an amateur would be a great compliment. However, I'm wanting to get involved in writing again. I'm wondering if there is still room for someone like me in this group.

As far as what I'd like to write, I like fantasy and RPGs. I have dozens of worlds, concepts, and characters locked away in my brainvault that I want to bring to life.

~ Travis
Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 387
Travis--You are in the right place.

I strongly encourage you to come to some of the critique meetups. I'm familiar with the one at Lunds. My suggestion is to read the submissions before the meeting, make your own notes/critiques and NOT plan or worry about sharing them. Come to the meetup and listen to the critiques others offer. That will calibrate you as to your own tastes and insights relative to the other members of the group.

When you feel ready, submit a piece, and listen to what people have to say. You won't agree with what some people say. Every perspective has value, even the ones that you think are totally wrong.

Pat S.
Conrad Z.
conradzero
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 154
Travis,

A wise man once said:

I strongly encourage you to come to some of the critique meetups.

In fact, I think it was Pat who said that, approximately one post ago.

Read the other submissions or not, but feel free to come and simply observe how the process works. I did this several times before I was comfortable submitting my own work.

Realize that if you submit your own work for critique, then you are expected not only to read but provide feedback for the other submissions for that meeting. This is only fair, since they are critting yours.

But if you aren't submitting work, you are welcome to come to the meetup and just be a 'fly on the wall' and you don't have to give feedback. If you come to the meetup, I guarantee that you'll be motivated to go home and write a bestseller.

-Zero
Tim R.
user 12966329
Zimmerman, MN
Post #: 48
I have to agree with Conrad and Pat. I too observed a few times before submitting and it was a great experience.
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 765
I'd strongly suggest submitting a complete short story, something you feel is your best work.
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 377
Definitely bring your "A" game...
Carol C.
Caroljcap
Hewitt, MN
Post #: 2
Hello! I just found this group. My profile says I'm in St Paul. Don't know how that happened and can't figure out how to change it, but it probably facilitated finding this group, so, "Yay!" I'm actually about 2-1/2 hours north of the Twin Cities, but will definitely travel to as many meetings as I can. I live in the greater Hewitt area, pop about 200, which is 10 miles south of Wadena, if anybody knows where that is.

I write a little bit of everything, but novel-wise, usually Young Adult contemporary paranormal. I'm doing NaNoWriMo for the first time this year. So far I'm playing catchup periodically, but mostly staying on track. I've tried writing novels using the organic, seat-of-my-pants method. It worked up to chapter 2, chapter 5 and chapter 9, then nada. Knowing I can't play chess and finding out I've always had ADD should have been a clue that I'd run into issues trying to maintain novel-length structure in my head. After reading writing advice on the web pages of several of my favorite authors, I decided to give outlining a try. As an exercise, I chose a protag, gave her a name and a very abbreviated bio, decided on a villain which I changed about 20 minutes later, added characters with their bios, then wrote a list of conflicts and some backstory. Hm. It was an adult thriller and it looked writable. Problem was it was an exercise. I wasn't really invested. I wrote several character vignettes and a murder in progress to get into it. I liked it, but I didn't want to write it.

I finally put it on the back burner and followed a new idea I had the same way. The idea and characters came first, firmed up by the same kind of outline. It's the one I'm writing for NaNo and I'm loving it. I'd like to submit it for an eval by the slush pile readers. Thankfully I'll have a few days in December to edit and sweeten up those first three pages.

That's where I am to date. I also tend to run off at the mouth or fingertips, depending.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 10,471
Hey Carol, welcome!

If you can submit those first three pages before December, that would be awesome. I put a deadline of December 1st on the event to give me a chance to anonymize all entries and then get them up the slush team so they would have enough time to review.

If you really want me to do so, I can help you change your location. I do agree though that the St. Paul location helped you find us. 2 and 1/2 hours is a long drive! I don't know how often you can make it, but we are thrilled to have you join us.

Hmm
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 406
Welcome aboard, Carol! (I'm waaay up in Bemidji, don't let the distance dissuade you!)
Genta S.
user 32014122
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hello, I'm Genta Sebastian

I live in St. Paul, and write LGBT and/or YA fiction - which in a way, is VERY speculative. My favorite characters are always outsiders, and are often caught in the yin/yang of not understanding/not being understood.

Over the years I've sold several short stories to anthologies. Now I'm trying to polish three YA novels enough to self publish as e-books and POD. I'm hoping that I can get these projects up and on their way by spring, 2012.