addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Dan G.
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 489
Hello, I'm Genta Sebastian

I live in St. Paul, and write LGBT and/or YA fiction - which in a way, is VERY speculative.

Things I've seen done in science fiction that probably wouldn't work elsewhere include: One-sex societies. Homosexuality normal; heterosexuality A Perversion (Eleanor Arnason's Ring of Swords is the most readable of these I've seen.) Both heterosexuals and homosexuals considered mentally ill (Arthur C. Clarke, Imperial Earth.) Seven or so sexes (more precisely: male, female, and several kinds of intersex common) but only two genders recognized (Melissa Scott; Shadow Man, if I remember correctly.) Hermaphrodites, in the same society with females and males (Beta Colony, in Lois McMaster Bujold's sf universe.) Instant sex-change booths (John Varley's Eight Worlds universe.)

Note: I had trouble remembering "LGBT" till I made a mnemonic: Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon, and Tomato.

Genta S.
user 32014122
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 6
Hello, I'm Genta Sebastian

I live in St. Paul, and write LGBT and/or YA fiction - which in a way, is VERY speculative.

Things I've seen done in science fiction that probably wouldn't work elsewhere include: ...

Thank you very much for this! It does indeed remind me that there are ways, always ways, to work what is personally important to the author into the story.

Note: I had trouble remembering "LGBT" till I made a mnemonic: Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon, and Tomato.

Do you know why a movement that was known as GLBT a couple of decades ago, is now universally recognized as the LGBT movement, why the letter rearrangement which may have caused your confusion?

Gay men (with their higher paychecks and better job opportunities hence contacts) took control of the burgeoning 'gay' movement in the 70's. They, along with the rest of America, struggled with the feminist issue - especially as some routine animosity was fostered between those women who wanted to nest, and those men who wanted to Pahrtay. The gay men knew they had to share power with the lesbians, but ding dang it they didn't want to, and they didn't have to. We were the GLBT with the emphasis on the GAY because they said so, and they headed all our groups and controlled all the money.

And then in the 80's AIDS hit our community. Not the lesbians, we're the lowest at risk group there is. But between our gay brothers the disease quickly became a plague. Within one year I buried three friends, and knew of four others that had HIV - at that point a clear, almost immediate death sentence.

And they suffered. Many were estranged from their families, and had no support there. Some became social pariahs, cast away from workplace, friendships, neighborhoods. Some were turned away by their own friends and lovers in sheer fear of contact with the loathsome disease. For awhile, hospitals were free to turn AIDS patients away, and they did. Many were left to suffer alone, with no one to help as the horrible sickness ravaged them and killed them.

That's when the lesbians stepped in. We had to, no one else was taking care of these men whom we recognized as brothers, no matter how they still treated women. They were dying in disgrace, unloved and alone - and no one deserves that. So one by one we started caring for these men, washing their diseased bodies, cleaning their infectious messes, taking chances with a disease that no one understood at all at the time.

We cooked and brought them meals, cared for their pets when they no longer could, and got them into hospitals where they could die with a modicum of dignity. We stood by their sides, holding their hands to let them know they were not alone as they died. And we buried them, mourning the losses that mounted so horrifically for so long.

The men that survived, the ones that escaped the disease altogether or have found a cocktail of drugs that keeps them relatively healthy, began to refer to our group, our family, as LGBT. They put the lesbians first to recognize our efforts to provide them with family when no one else would. And only the most ignorant, or very young, among us refer to us in the old fashioned way.

Which explains the change that has confused so very many well meaning heterosexuals.
Andrew P.
user 8531059
Inver Grove Heights, MN
Post #: 1
Hi everyone, I'm Andrew Post and new to MinnSpec.

I write mostly in the sci-fi genre, sticking pretty closely to the cyberpunk genre. My first novel, Knuckleduster, is due out March, 2013 through Medallion Press. The blurb:

Forty years in the future, Brody “Knuckleduster” Calhoun spends his life in a cycle of violence and probation. To strangers, he looks like a junkie with orange-stained eyes. To the police, he’s a well-known criminal who’s racked up eleven harassment charges and seventeen cases of aggravated assault, all with a deadly weapon: his brass knuckles.

Brody is a vigilante for hire who tracks down women’s abusive husbands to repay pain with pain. He wants to help the women and doesn’t like accepting their money, but he has no choice. Injured in the military and sent home, Brody needs expensive batteries to power his carotene lenses. Without them, he is completely blind.

When Thorp Ashbury, an old friend from the service, invites him to rural Illinois, Brody seizes the opportunity to escape the city and violence. Instead, he uncovers a conspiracy that could shake the foundation of everything he stands for.

I'm very pleased to be a part of this group, it seems like I just found my home away from home. Thank you for having me. :D
Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 421
Welcome aboard, Andrew!
Hilary Moon M.
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 10,537
Welcome Jacob, Kali and Andrew!

We are so glad that all of you joined us!

Terry F.
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 824
Welcome aboard, Andrew.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, I'm Kiernan Gladman, please call me Kiera smile

I live in St. Paul with my loving husband, 6 adoring cats (plus 1 foster), 4 slithery snakes, and the Great Spider Army currently residing in the basement. I've got three stories in progress, and many more "in queue" waiting to be told. Most are fantasy, a few are literary fiction, horror, futuristic science fiction, or some combination of these genres. I love concepts of magic, space travel, alternate reality, and paranormal, but also enjoy learning about the sciences like physics, biology, chemistry, et cetera. As a child, I would draw maps of imaginary worlds, complete with countries, warring kingdoms, mountain ranges, etc. and wrote my first completed short story about a girl who wanted a pony for her birthday. The pony pulled a slay. Really, I didn't know the difference between that and sleigh at that age. Even now, when asked by wait staff if I want anything, I'll say "a pony" and my husband says "a million dollars." We have yet to get either.

I just started at the U of M in the Master's in Liberal Studies program as a full time student with 8 credits, and plan to do some creative writing projects as part of my program. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a registered U of M student group specific to creative writing. I may have to rectify that. I don't work, but am looking very hard for a position in office administration, a/p, a/r, invoicing, et al.

I searched high and low online for writing groups in the TC area, and happily discovered this meetup group! What a wonderful find! This is great, because I can connect with other writers who like/love/write the same or similar genres.

Last, I'd like to get together with other writers on a regular basis to write for blocks of time (I get distracted at home), participate in workshops, and get some impetus to DO, not just "think about it".

I hope everyone's having a wonderful day, enjoying the warm and sunny weather. I look forward to learning more about all of you.
Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 403
You are in the right place. You'll find a stunning variety of interests represented within the group. Attending the meetups in person is a great benefit to belonging to this group. I would especially encourage you to attend some of the critique sessions. If you do, there is no obligation to come with critiques the first time around. Come as an observer, but read the submitted pieces in advance. When you hear the critiques you will be able to calibrate yourself as to the writing skills and critiquing skills--and attitudes--you will typically find in the group. You will also be able to search out that kindred soul to spend writing time together.

A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks, Pat!

Good advice. I'm attending the Q&A session with the coroner on Sunday, and a critique session in February as an observer like you recommended. Also just signed up for an online course at the Loft called Mars Needs Writers, which starts on Feb 6. Terrifying and thrilling at the same time, since follow-through is an issue with my writing. Paying for it, though, is a good incentive!
Pat S.
user 4680734
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 404
Lyda is a great resource and a gentle critiquer. You should come armed with questions and not hesitate to speak up. She, and possibly other people in the class, should be good sources of information.