addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Twin Cities Roleplaying Association Message Board TCRA Main Forum › Wanting feedback on a game idea.

Wanting feedback on a game idea.

Jack
southwestmetrogm
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 307
I love how many people have jumped in on this question. I sprinkle my Organizer blessing on you all. Hmmmm... that sounded creepier than I intended. Oh, well.

I'm not sure any system suggestions I have would be any better than what has already been posted, although I'm very partial to GURPS as many of you know, and find it a great system for running anything from superheroes, to Star Wars, Doctor Who, Firefly, to gothic fantasy. The learning curve is a bit steep if you've never used it before, but I think it's worth it.

Beyond that, pick a system (or stay with the one you have) and then pitch an interesting story. I usually find that it's the story that intrigues me about a game far more than the system. If you choose a less popular (or older, out-of-print) RPG for your game, just be willing to walk people through character creation and the rules, and most people will be OK with that. Most of all, whatever system you choose, be sure you know it at least reasonably well, because you can't teach what you don't know.
mark
user 88605722
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 5
Thanks for all the feedback. As such I will be working on updating a setting I have put a lot of work into for over 20 years to pathfinder mostly for feats, skills and weapon profs. I will change item creation, multi-classing, experience, and classes to a more 1st edition feel. At the same time keeping with the flavor of rich backgrounds, roleplaying, character development people want to play, game balance and the freedom of total player choices of what they want to do. One of things I have always done is allow all characters in the group to find quests/adventures from the people from their backgrounds or people they know and then the group can collectively do what they want to do or even do different things. As a DM I try to give freedom of choice not making or guiding people to their riches or doom. Anyway I would imagine that I will be updated by Aug. to start looking for players.
mark
user 88605722
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 6
If anyone has questions about what I am doing because they are interested either email me or you can reply to this post and ask openly. I don't mind people asking questions because they want to play or just want to get ideas or even provide me with ideas because I don't claim to know everything. Besides, the world I created isn't totally mine. A lot of the world I use is based off old forgotten realms that has been changed due to other players playing in it/retirement. So in reality this campaign has been enriched by a lot of people over the years. Note that most of it isn't just forgotten realms quests I mostly just used things I liked from forgotten realms and used the maps. Otherwise, its homegrown.
Troy S.
SkullThrone
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 38
I do agree with Dave and other to just "Run it as you have it"...If you don't get the required number of players to pull it off, then you can pitch some type of "Pathfinder/Hybrid", but no sense is doing that as a counter measure if you don't have too.

It's been a long time since I played 1st ed, I do occasionally path at a Con, but heavily lean on others to remind me when I roll a d20 for initiative or forget about casting times on my wizards spells. I also forget that only the Thief really had skills, most things were done by attribute tests and the like. Even then, if you have everything "written up" in one system, then I'd say just do it...Unless your like me and converting is half the fun, then by all means do that.