Hi, and welcome to our group's page!
A little about us:
We are a group of moms! Most of our moms stay home, but we welcome working moms that have flexible schedules. Some have little babies, some have preschoolers, some even older! Some have one, two, three, maybe more.
When do we meet?
We aim to have a minimum of 2 scheduled meetups each week, but often have one every day! In addition, we are open to suggestions and requests by members, so we often meet other days based on members' ideas. Most events are Monday through Friday, but we have an occasional Saturday/Sunday event, too.
What do we do?
We go all over Baton Rouge and the surrounding areas (e.g., Livingston and Ascension Parishes), since there is some cool stuff out there! We do a lot of free activities, like the malls, parks, and fast-food play areas. We also go to members' homes, the museum, movies, and restaurants. Some meetups are at places that have fees, like jump places and the zoo. We try to do a "Mom's Night Out" at least once a month, and, occasionally, an evening family activity and invite the daddies!
How do I join and see the rest of the site? Please complete the introduction questions when you request to be a member. A picture with yourself is REQUIRED for each member! This is how we know how to find you at meetups! It also helps us put a name with a face, since we have a large group of moms.
Once a week, you will receive an e-mail from an organizer with the schedule of events for the upcoming week. Only the meetups at public venues will be listed, not the home playdates. Please look for it in your e-mail's in-box; it will clearly state "Moms Like Us Upcoming Events" and will be sent to the e-mail address you used to sign up. E-mail us back and let us know what you plan to attend and we'll see you there (and we'll tell you how to find us)!!!
We get requests for new members daily, some from people from whom we never hear back. Our policy is to try to contact you once a week for a month. However, if we do not hear back from you within 30 days, your request will unfortunately be denied. We are unable to keep too many people on the waiting list at a time. So, please only apply to join our group if you are able to come to a meetup within the next 30 days. Why do you have to come to an event before having access to the page? This is to protect our mommies and babies. It's nothing formal, just a casual meeting to meet you and your kids and so you can meet us and our kids. After you attend one meetup, you will be given access to the site, including the calendar and the message board. Are member requests denied or do members lose membership? Our reason for asking you to come to an event before you have access to the site is just so we can make sure you are who you say you are - a mom! That's it. So we do not deny membership. In the rare occasion that a member is disruptive to the group, the organizers do have the right to cancel a membership. You must stay active in the group to be a member. (We expect you to attend a meetup at least every 3 months.) What's the deal with dues and donations? Member dues and donations help cover any expenses the group incurs. Dues and donations that we receive go towards paying for our meet-up subscription, family events, community outreach projects and charitable causes in which our group participates. Examples of events your dues pay for include: Monthly birthday parties, Easter/Spring Party, Fall/Halloween Party, Christmas Party, and several other fun events. Dues are $20 per member for the year (collected when you join). Dues are non-refundable!
What is expected from our members:
- BE ACTIVE: The entire purpose of this group is to meet moms and kids, so please stay involved and come to meetups whenever possible. Also, don't forget about the message board, including posting responses when you feel like you can help!
- RSVP: Please take the time to RSVP, even if it's a "No." This feature should be treated like any other commitment. If you RSVP "Yes", please come! Nothing is more disappointing than showing up at an event that you thought 12 people would be at, but only 3 are actually there. (We know things happen, children get sick, and people run late, but please change your RSVP as soon as you know your plans have changed!) No-shows should be a very rare occurrence.
- Take the Survey: After you RSVP "yes" to an event, meetup.com sends you an e-mail asking you to rate the event. Please take a minute to complete this brief survey. This really helps the organizers understand and plan future events. Remember, in a few cases, this is the only way we know that you actually came to the event! Use this as your way to let us know, "I was there!"
- Host Meet ups: We like to have our calendar full of events to allow moms many options. The organizers typically host/post the events, but we love it when the members take initiative and host meetups themselves! This means, come up with an idea (send an organizer the time, day, place, and all of the details in an e-mail), and we'll get it on the calendar for you. As the host, you are committing yourself to being there and helping out by being the contact person for this event. For example, if a new person is coming, you should look out for them, welcome them, and let the organizers know that the new member attended the event! As the host, if you end up being unable to attend, find someone to fill your shoes.
- Sick Children: We are not a daycare so there is NO rush to bring a sick child back to a playdate with other children. Absolutely no children with fevers, open sores, upset tummy's, contagious diseases at all may come to a playdate. Hosts of events are absolutely allowed to use their discretion and ask someone with a visibly sick child to leave. If your child has a contagious disease or illness please stay home for three days (72 hours) from the date of the last incident.
- Respect individuals: We are a large group, with different opinions. Please watch your comments. And remember that it's easy to misunderstand someone, especially on a message board. Inappropriate comments will not be tolerated. And, spamming and solicitation is not allowed!
- Dads at Meet-ups: Dads are only welcome to attend family events. Under no circumstance should a dad attend a meet-up intended for just us moms, especially MNOs (Moms' Night Out) or MNIs (Moms' Night In).
- Other: Organizer reserves the right to remove any member from the group who does not adhere to the rules, even if that member paid dues.
If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail one of our group organizers!