Montana Programmers Message Board Montana Programmers Discussion Forum › Billings HackerSpace

Billings HackerSpace

Shawn W.
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 5
At last Thursday's drink-up in Billings there was much discussion about starting up a local hackerspace. For the uninitiated, a hackerspace (or maker space) is a location where people can get together regularly to work on technical projects. See http://hackerspaces.o...­ for more information (and search "Montana" to see other spaces around Montana).

There seemed to be some interest in getting some sort of microcontroller/embedded project going, utilizing Arduino boards, Raspberry Pi, etc. Perhaps something game-related. The fact is, there are still a few things to figure out and there is plenty opportunity to brainstorm. And so this thread is created as an initial point to collect ideas related to getting a Billings HackerSpace under way!

Some initial things we'll need to figure out:

1. Location
- We should contact other businesses with unused space as potential sponsors.
- I have a 250 sq ft room at my office on Grand Ave we could use for now.

2. Meeting Days
- We should keep a regular meeting day (weekly?) for the regular members. Friday evenings was mentioned as one possibility.

3. Projects

Please feel free to post any other ideas here. You can also find me on IRC at #mtprogrammers on freenode most days.
Rob I.
robzarry
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 4
Love the fact that you are doing this!!! Over here we have bozemanmakers.com, happy to connect you with them if it helps.
Shawn W.
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 6
On the LUG night this month (Thu 12/20) we will do a bit of embedded show and tell. A few of us have Raspberry Pi's and Andrew N. of Rocky will show what he's doing with an Arduino clone temperature sensor he's putting together for around $6. I also saw an article a few days ago on using the Pi as an FM transmitter using just software to have the clock oscillate a GPIO pin. I'd like to try it out as the only extra hardware needed is a wire to attach to the pin as an antenna.

This all seems to fit with some of the makerspace ideas so it'd make a great segue into that sort of discussion. Figured we could do a joint LUG / MT Programmers / (future) hackerspace meeting this month.
Ace O.
user 67893672
Billings, MT
Post #: 1
I'd love to attend, but unfortunately I will be vacationing during those dates, I hope to make it to the next one!
Shawn W.
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 7
We had a great turnout at the meeting this month. It was great to see how everyone is making use of Raspberry Pi and Arduino devices. So the question is what would everyone like to see to make this a regular occurrence? A weekly gathering for tinkering with projects? What materials should be readily available to make this easier?
Shawn W.
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 13
This Thursday 4/18 the Billings Linux Users Group is touring and discussing a possible Maker Space location here in Billings! This meeting will not be focused only on Linux so I suggest anyone else who is interested in the idea of getting a space in Billings to work on projects please consider attending! This will be just an informal walk around the space and brainstorming ideas of how we can make it work and worthwhile.

We are meeting Thursday April 18 @ 6 PM at:

Pizza Place
2215 6th Ave North
Billings

Rob L.
roblund
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 31
Awesome! If you end up finding the right place, be sure to take a couple photos and post them up.
Shawn W.
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 14
We are currently meeting at Rocky on Wednesday nights in Tech Hall. Just a few of us getting some projects going...