addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Montana Programmers Message Board Jobs & Work Related › Web development hot spots?

Web development hot spots?

Mike
mkloster
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 2
I am contemplating moving my family to Montana to escape the summer heat of my current home. I am a web developer that will be working remotely, so i can basically choose where I want to live.

If you were me, where would you live, if you shared my priorities as follows (pretty much in order of importance):

• short, cool summers; cold/snowy winters don't scare me
  • reasonable cost of living vs. wages in the area (I come from a low COL area)
  • access to decent IT/development jobs, should anything happen with my current gig
  • active IT community
  • easy access to mountains/outdoor recreation (all seasons), especially fly fishing

Thanks for your input. I've done a fair amount of research, and if the results from my research is to be believed, everybody in Montana makes 20k/year and is forced to live in a 400k home due to the influx of Californians! Please tell me that is not the case! Thanks.
A former member
Post #: 71
  • Yep, we have the weather you like/can live with-Check.

• Yep, you can source jobs over the web-Check

• Yep, we pay people with Masters degrees a whopping $10 per hour plus possible bonuses-Check.

• Yep, 400k homes (don't think it's caused by Cali's) but they are going for the 200's now thanks to a ruptured CONUS and global economy.

IMO I think you will have a challenge no matter where you roam these days. Pick a place, make it work for you. Good luck!
Ashton S.
Ashotn.Sanders
Polson, MT
Post #: 48
1. Summers are pretty short. If you like reasonable cold 10-40 degrees for 4-8 months this area of MT is pretty great. It drops into negatives only a few times a year.

2. Cost of living is good (definitely better than LA).

3. I don't have a good answer for this one. I haven't personally checked the area for decent IT/Dev Jobs.

4. MTP is pretty active. There's definitely more activity in the larger cities like Missoula.

5. Definitely.
A former member
Post #: 1
Mike - western Montana is spectacular! Eastern is more prairie and flatlands........

RightNow is a software development company based in Bozeman, MT - great town, with fantastic lower cost of living neighboring towns!

We live here for the 8 weeks of summer, and remain here because its the best skiing around. Long johns will become your best friend. I encourage you to pack and move - it's a blast!