addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The MPLS/St. Paul Area Board Games Meetup Message Board › Any Hero Quest or Warhammer Gamers...

Any Hero Quest or Warhammer Gamers...

Closed to new replies

Joshua
user 11858278
Delano, MN
Post #: 1
I just recently joined this group. I love all types of board games and joined to find more people who like playing them. Particular games I love to play are role playing fantasy games. One of my all time favorites is a game that came out by Milton Bradley in the late 1980's called Hero Quest. The game was quite popular at its time and it turned into one of my favorites. The best way to describe the game is to compare it to the books and movies of The Lord of The Rings. Basically it is a role playing board game that uses more than just your imaginiation unlike Dungeon and Dragons. ( There is an actual board that consists of different rooms, figurenes, and dungeons and each game played is unique)

The game can be played with 2 to 5 players and sometimes even more. ITs a game between the Good Hero's (ex. ELF, Dwarf, Wizard, and Barbarian) vs. The evil choas scorcerer and his army of undead, orcs, and goblins. Each game consists of a Quest where the Hero's must accomplish a task for example, finding a certain treasure or destroying a certain character or scorcerer of chaos. During the quest only certain portions of the board are displayed. The only things displayed to the hero's are what their figurines can see through line of site. The player (usually owner of the game) who plays the evil scorcer uses a map to know when and where to place goblins, zombies, mummies, treasures, doors to rooms, and furniture on the game board. The Hereos have no idea what is on the map. This makes Each Quest unpredectible and unique and for the most part the quests follow a general storyline. Quest 1 is related to Quest 2 which is related to Quest 3 and so on. The Hero's must work together to destroy the evil forces of chaos.

Unfortunately Hero Quest has been out of Print since around 1992. The game is rare to find along with its expansions. Hero Quest was released in two versions: The European Version (Game System) and The North American Version (Game System). The two versions differ somewhat but for the most part are identical. There was also 2 Unique expansions that were released for the European version only(Against The Ogre's Horde, Wizards of Morcar) and 2 unique expansions released for The North American Version only(The Barbarian Quest Pack, The Elf Quest Pack). There were 2 more expansions that were also released for both the European and North American Version( Keller's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord). In Europe there was also another Version of the Game released titled Advanced Hero Quest. The quest packs (what the expansions are called) each come with additional quest maps for more game play along with more figurens to represent the evil scorcers minions such as mummies, ogre's, and skeletons, and additrional rules and cards used for play.

Being that the game has been out of print for nearly 20 years it is hard to find. Websites such as Ebay, and Amazon.com are the best places to look to purchase these games however they are generally sold from $100 to several hundred dollars). You can usually buy the Game system for a reasonable price but in order to get the more rare expansion sets you must be willing to shell out several hundred dollars depending on which Expansion your looking for. Some are more rare then others.

Throughout the past 6 years I have started collecting this game and am only currently missing, 1 North american Expansion ( The Elf Quest Pack) and Advanced Hero Quest (only was released in europe). I purchased my collection to actually play the game and currently play it with a select few of my friends who also enjoy the game. When I heard of meetup.com I signed up to hopefully find more people who would be interested in playing this game with along with other games. I really enjoy playing all types of board games and wish I played them more often with more people. I tend to be very busy but thought this might be a new way to meet more people who have similiar interests and seriously wish I played board games more often. I enjoy most the classics such as monopoly as well as other games too.

Believe me I am not a complete nerd, I also enjoy going to several sporting events throughout the Twins Cities metro area. I go to several sporting events each year and am currently a season ticket holder of the Minnesota Timberwolves. I also have numerous twins tickets for the upcoming year at the new stadium as well. I look forward to meeting new people in this group.

Take Care,
Joshua