NCTech4Good Message Board › May 22 Meeting - Ruby rocked!

May 22 Meeting - Ruby rocked!

Chris L.
user 6937957
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey all,

I wanted to thank Ruby again for a great presentation and for the lengths she went to in order to give credence to her topic ;-) (I'm on to you Ruby, I think the "blow out" was a setup!)

For those of you who weren't able to attend, Ruby and Brian had some car trouble that conspired to strand them on I-40 on the way to the meeting. But Ruby (allegedly ;-) ) reached out to her Twitter friends and was able to secure a ride virtually within minutes and was able to make the meeting just a little late.

All joking aside, it was a powerful demonstration of this social networking tool and a she went on to show how such tools can be applied to "network centric advocacy" with a framework for how you can start thinking about how they can help you further the missions of the organizations you work with. You can view her presentation materials and links to other resources at her website - lotusmedia.org.

Here is the high level outline for "Don't push the river, it flows by itself":
(apologies for list formatting, options were limited)

Five aspects of effective networks

• Strong social ties
    * Personal relationships
    * Trust
    * Awareness
  • Dense communication grid
    * Online & offline
    * One-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-many
    * For example

• Blogs, forums
    • E-mail, IM, SMS
    • Face-to-face

• Common story
    * Shared values
    * Collective narrative
  • Culture of sharing
    * For example

• Data, information
    • Skills & expertise
    • Money
    • Space

• Network awareness
    * Feeling like a member
    * Knowing what the network is for

I also want to thank you all for attending and sharing your thought and experiences. I personally got a lot out of not just Ruby's topic but meeting and learning from you all and look forward to doing it again soon.

In the meantime, please provide your feedback for the meeting on the meetup page and let's continue the discussion on these topics here as well. I would love to hear more about what you all have been doing with "social networking" or "network centric" tools and activities, and I'm sure Ruby and others would be happy to entertain further questions and comments, so where appropriate please post them in this forum so all can share and benefit from any exchanges. (Replies will be posted to the group (netsquared-22@meetup.com) mailing list.)

Research Triangle Net "Tuesday"

Additionally, I have been trying myself to learn and use these tools more for myself and my organization. So feel free to link up with me on any of the tools we discussed (if I don't get to you first) - LinkedIn­, Twitter­, Facebook­ - or let me know of any others that you think work well.

Cheers and I look forward to seeing you all again soon!
Chris
A former member
Post #: 1
Great meetup - everyone was inviting and friendly - great atmosphere for learning and networking.

Public Allies North Carolina is having Ruby and Brian lead a more indepth online social networking and new media creation hands-on training for our participants on May 30th - Im looking forward to it.

We have started using Facebook (group/page) .

I heard a number of people express interest in open source cms (Drupal, Joomla, etc) - I would love to see a meetup like - Drupal/Joomla Basics - in future, or even Wordpress. Also, effective Online Community Management Practices would be awesome.

Nice to meet yall.
A former member
Post #: 1
Useful meeting with neat presentation. Also noted the term net-centric.
On CMS: I am developing a couple of sites using Joomla. Lots of learning for me. Glad to share if interest arises.

--Mike Rulison