addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NJ Acoustic Music in the Park Message Board › One Year Anniversary

One Year Anniversary

Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 66
This is the one year anniversary of the creation of the NJ Acoustic Music in the Park meetup group. It all started in September 08 when I answered a Craig’s List ad “Seek Fellow Acoustic Hobbiest” posted by Jim. Since we didn’t know each other we decided to meet in a public place, a park in East Hannover, near where we both worked at the time. Jim and I continued to meet at parks for a while until it got cold, when we moved it in to my house.

I was told about Meetup.com by a friend who runs a discussion meetup group in Manhattan. I looked around for acoustic music meetup groups and found one in White House, NJ. The problem was, that meetup group never seemed to actually meet. So Jim and I, on 6/24/09 created this group.

We had our first meetup in Johnson Park, Piscataway on 7/8/09 with 5 member and 4 songsheets (landscape mode hadn’t been invented yet). We have grown steadily from there.

June - Alan, Jim
July - Beth, Lisa, Ed
Sept - Stan, Joe B, Bob
Oct - FiL, Joe H
Dec - Laine

In December it got cold, so we took the meetups to my house while we searched for an indoor venue. In January we secured a slot at Mannion’s and things exploded from there.

Jan - Denise, Debbie C, Cecilia, Joanna, Paul, Jennifer, Bob C, Bob J
Feb - Angelo, Oliver
March - Deborah, Autumn, Steve
April - Tom
May - Marc

Unlike other groups who use an open mic, or song circle format or just flounder from being unorganized, we have found a format that allows everyone (novice and expert) to participate the entire time, and still allows peoples individual talents to shine. I believe we are sounding good and getting better all the time. It’s telling that almost everyone who has come to one of our meetups, continues to keep coming back (schedule permitting).

Many times, at our sessions, when everyone is in the groove, and there is harmony coming from every direction, you can feel the magic in the air. It is a wonderful thing to be able to share a passion for something you love, with so many warm, friendly and fun loving folks. I am honored to call all of your my friends. (wipes a single tear rolling down his right cheek with an ornamental handkerchief from the breast pocket of his tuxedo jacket)
jim
user 8203581
Perth Amboy, NJ
Post #: 53
HaHa, you said it all so well Alan. All I can say is "DITTO" !! Happy Birthday / Anniversary to all our friends !
FiL
FiLw
Franklin Park, NJ
Post #: 41
Thanks, guys, for getting this party started one year ago. Y'all have enriched my life immeasurably.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the next year takes us!
Tom
user 11716931
Plainfield, NJ
Post #: 24
To All
For many years I raised a family and worked, My guitar and harp sat idle. I found I was playing the same songs over and over and never really developed. When I was told about the Group through friends .I was excited.

I have made new friends. Played and learned new songs. I would like to thank everyone for the good times and the patience to teach and encourage . I would also like to thank Alan (landscape) for his guidance on the songs sheets. Jim for his never ending way he always remembers the words to every song I love and Fil who has taught me proper phrasing when singing I enjoy everyones talents

Looking forward to our next Meetup and many more to come

"i,m so glad
i,m so glad
yes i am yes i am yes i am"
smilelaughing[wink

Happy Anniversary
Joe H.
user 10401699
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 21
Years ago, I was in a band called "Perfect Strangers". I came up with the band name, based on the idea that even though the guys in the band didn't know each other that well (at the beginning) we still found a "perfect" blend of instruments and vocals that worked for us for about six years.
In the meetup group, we've found another group of "perfect strangers". Our new friendships have already become very important to most of us, though in many ways we still don't know each other well (except musically -- and isn't that all that really matters).
It's easy to see how important this has become to everyone, when people are showing up at Mannion's right after work, or changing their work schedule in order to make a meetup (I negotiated my "Father's Day day off" from cooking Sunday dinner to be this weekend instead of last).
Ditto to everything that's been said so far. Thanks Alan and Jim for starting this thing; more thanks to Alan for inviting me to be a part of it.
bob c.
Bobcole
Hillsborough, NJ
Post #: 30
You are sooo not wearing a tuxedo! You can"t fool us! Alan and Jim and Fil have set something loose that has been poking around for years, I'll bet, and it's heading for the surface...And, yeah, passion is really the appropriate word- thanks so much for the exposure, the tolerance, and being who each of you are...Am I sounding too sappy? Actually, speaking of sappy, Joe, the band I sang with was called (forgettably) "The Lace Pavement". We will a. not comment on that, and b. acknowledge that "Perfect Strangers" sounds lots better! So can we vote on the setlist additions at Mannion's? So much good music and so little time!