add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

NOVA Makers Message Board › DangerCon Pregame Email

DangerCon Pregame Email

Justin L.
user 15247261
Reston, VA
What to bring:

· Standard camping gear: tent, sleeping bag, clothing pack.

· Sleeping pad if you have one, I don’t mow as often as I should, so my grass is lumpy.

· Food. I’ve been busy collecting hardware and preparing classes, so I didn’t make a menu. Y’all are on your own for food. I do have the means to cook it (charcoal/propane grills, kitchen) and I can store some stuff in the fridge if you need.

· Ice. I have a few large double-walled shipping containers that will serve as excellent coolers if we get a bunch of ice.

· Drinks. Water: My water is from a well and tastes like a used cow. I’ll wash in it, but won’t drink it. Alcohol: yes, please. J

· Car chargers. I can get an extension cord out to the fire area, but I’m not sure how many people plug in at once. You can plug a few things into the garage, but the house for some inexplicable reason doesn’t have any plugs outside on the ground level. If you really need a charge, I’ll plug it in inside.

· Bug Spray. I have ticks and skeeters in the yard. They’re hungry. You look delicious. If you feel something tickling/moving/itching do not ignore it. It IS a tick.

· Long pants, preferably denim as cotton if fire resistant and doesn’t melt and fuse to skin. I strongly advise against wearing synthetic material around fire. If you insist, I’ll show you the scars on my hand where molten rayon fused with my skin.

· Long sleeve shirt, preferably cotton, same reason. I don’t really care, if you want to wear short sleeves that’s fine, but you will probably end up with a few small blisters on your arms from welding splatter or forge sparks. You might get this even with long sleeves, but they help. Please note that I’m explicitly telling you right now that you’re probably going to get burned if you take these classes. You’ve been warned.

· If you have a welding helmet or leather welding gloves, please bring them. We could use more.

· If you have a project that you’d like welded or forged bring it along. Once the classes are done, we’ll see what we can do.

· Wear clothing that you don’t mind being completely submersed in. You will essentially be swimming in it.

· Shoes. I shouldn’t have to say this, but I’ve taken enough new people prospecting and it always surprises me to see people trying to walk through a river with no shoes on.

· Either leave your phone in the car or bring some means to keep it dry like a dry box. I suggest leaving it in the car.

· Sun block

· If you have a small specimen bottle, bring it and we’ll see what we can find for you to put in it.

· If you have a gold pan, I’ll show you how to use it. I have a few to bring with us.

Other to bring:

· Any kind of project that you want to share and talk about. We made an outdoor whiteboard backdrop so you can give a presentation/demo/talk.

· If you have a handheld firearm that you would like to practice with you can bring it. I can’t promise that we will have the opportunity or interest to, but I’ll take a vote after class and see if anyone wants to open the range for a short firearms safety and training class. Until then, unless you have a CCW permit, please keep it in your secured vehicle. It is your responsibility at all times.

· If you have a long (like outdoor long) extension cord we could probably find a use for it.

· Whatever you want that isn’t on the list below.

What not to bring:

· Small children and pets. I’m sorry about the children, but this event is dangerous. Hell I called it dangercon for a reason. There is a high probability for injury for anyone attending and having small children present will only make that probability increase. Normally I like having kids to hackerspace events; I like teaching kids to make things, but not here please. I don’t mind teenagers as long as they’re willing to listen and you take full responsibility for their actions.

Other notices:

· My house looks like shit right now (oh, and I tend to curse a lot). I’ve been busy trying to clean the yard and setup classes so I’ve been ignoring the house. I suggest you ignore it too.

· I have 4 cats, 2 birds, and a dog. Only the dog is allowed outside, please don’t let the rest out. There are a few outdoor neighborhood cats, but they probably won’t come around this many people. They’re sweet and cuddly if they do.

· The dog is scared of her own shadow, no worries there. The cats are sweet natured and won’t hurt anyone. The birds will bite the fuck out of you just for fun and then laugh at you. Seriously, the grey one can take off a finger and the green one will laugh at you the whole time. Birds are cool like that.

· Because of the last three items, the house is infested with fleas. I’ve tried damned near everything and they come back every year from June ‘till September. Be warned.

· The upstairs, being hardwood floors, is relatively flea free. There’s a bathroom in the hall. There’s another in our bedroom downstairs. You can use either, but downstairs is covered in flea powder right now (diatomaceous earth, non-poisonous) so you’ll get a bit dusty. You can pee in the woods, no prob, but my trees don’t flush so don’t do anything that would require them to.

You are all hereby warned that this property is not a safe place to be. It is not properly maintained. You could pop a tire, trip and break a leg, get mauled by coyotes, have a tree fall on you, or any number of things. I do not warrant that anything on this property is safe in any way. I advise you all to reconsider attending this event as you are putting yourselves in danger of property damage, injury, or death. FredHack is not insured. FredHack founders, staff, members, teachers, and the Property owner (henceforth referred to as “FredHack”) refuse to accept any liability for any damage, theft, or injury that occurs on this property. FredHack does not make any implications of or take any responsibility for the safety of anyone on this property. By entering the property located at 3400 Thompson’s Mill Rd. Goldvein, VA 22720 you implicitly accept personal responsibility for the safety, security, and well-being of yourself, your property, and any guests travelling with you. By entering the aforesaid property, you agree that FredHack is not liable for anything that happens on this property during the course of this event. You agree that FredHack will not provide compensation for any damages of any kind incurred during or because of this event and you waive your legal right to seek such compensation. You agree to fully indemnify FredHack of all legal responsibility.

From the moment you enter, you are in danger. Welcome to DangerCon.