Novapython and Excella Consulting are holding a Codekata that will focus on improving Numpy skills. The goal of this meetup is to help train your brain to think of problems without using list iterations.
We will visit problems that may be easy to solve with lists, but are more efficiently tackled with Numpy when the data sets get larger. We are striving to collect real world applications of Numpy in order to remove some of the abstraction of using the library.
To get a gist of what I mean, please look here and then look here. We are hoping to be beginner friendly, but you should certainly feel comfortable using Python before getting started. I expect Scipy and Pandas to creep in here as well, but that's part of the fun right?
What to prepare in advance:
- Procure a laptop with Wifi ability
- Install Numpy on that laptop, or on another system that you will be able to access
- 6:45pm Setup, meet and greet
- 7:00pm Problem introduction. Pair off if you would like.
- 7:15pm Get started!
- 8:00pm Check in, progres reports, start next problems
- 9:00pm Finishing up for the night
If you are pretty handy with Numpy, please let me know if you would like to help out. If you use Numpy (or scipy or pandas) and have a problem/solution you would like share, please let me know! It would be great to have some real world examples to practice!