|Sent on:||Monday, July 27, 2009 4:17 PM|
I’ve been using the IE8 developer tools since we all got together and there’s something that really bugs me about it that I thought I would share. It doesn’t refresh the DOM tree (automatically), so if you have some element injected into the DOM, you have to click the little Refresh button on the toolbar. What a pain! Plus, maybe I’m just more used to FireBug, but I like the UI better (especially the way it shows the associated style elements)
are the notes I took during tonight’s meetup. Hope everyone found this
interesting / useful.
Small Market Maker in Philly (Stocks) - Microsoft offers assistance to various industries into how to
use the technology, getting the most out of it for trading purposes, etc?
- Specifically minimizing latency
- Microsoft Industry group for FS - Joe Cleaver [address removed]
- Architecture Council (?)
- MSDN Blogs - very responsive
- http://blogs.msdn.com -
Silverlight 3 launched
- Nice, extra features (new controls), toolkit
- CodePlex toolkit - http://www.codeplex.com/Silverlight - samples at
- Anyone working with Silverlight? If not why not?
- Was too early when project launched
- PixelShaders - loaded into the GPU, Silverlight 3 lets you use them
- Demo available on Lab49 website - http://www.lab49.com/insidethelab/tutorials
- www.seethelight.com - launch video
- Christian Schorman - sketch flow at MS
SketchFlow - Can you turn that into a site map? Not easily. Can you re-style it as a real program? Um. No.
Balsamiq - SketchFlow? SF way better because can pass info back and forth (Feedback) feature.
What would be cool about SketchFlow - tag certain requirements to elements in the design
Let's say some field has a format of 10 characters - how does that make its way into the sketch?
Kind of like Balsamiq plugins for FogBugz or Jira...
Capture requirements that are not necessarily visual.
Free Trial available of Blend 3 + SketchFlow on Silverlight
Are there any open source development tools for Silverlight?
- SharpDevelop started to add but maybe there was a lawsuit (?)
- Seems it supports WPF - http://dennishayes.ulitzer.com/node/575276
- It's always a bit behind
- Microsoft did give some support to Moonlight (open source Silverlight) -
Anyone worked with RIA services? http://silverlight.net/forums/t/80529.aspx
- Generates a middle tier between data & web services & silverlight client
- Was looking for push service, hasn't really got there yet. Last time checked, it was mostly
- It seems to only handle one-way (pull) but not both ways (post as well)
Using ie8? Like it?
- Nice that View Source shows line numbers
Web Developer Plugin for IE8?
- Similar to FireBug
- So you just hit F12 in IE8 and you have all these powerful developer & debugging tools
- You can say Monkey
"SuperPReview" - side by side visual debugging in Expression Web
Any update on VS2010 release dates & .NET 4? No still Beta 1 released
Managed Extensibility Framework
- There's a video demo of it (go through the 1st 20 mins to get to the real demo) somewhere
- Also ScottGu demo from PDC -
- Also http://blogs.msdn.com/kcwalina/default.aspx
- Used in Visual Studio 2010
- Open Question - WHAT IS THE KILLER APP FOR MEF?
VS2010 - What is the value of it?
- Multi-monitor use
- Something about maybe Injecting IL on the fly ? Jeremy to look it up
- Parallel debugging - http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2009/05/parallel-stacks-another-new-vs2010.html
- Better support for ADO.NET entities & LINQ2SQL
- MVC for ASP.NET
- Dynamic keyword - used for Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR) - ie IronXX (Python, Ruby, etc)
Parallel code - TPL (Task Parallel Library aka ParallelFX aka PFX)
- Released separately then will be part of .NET framework 4
- Check out Microsoft Parallel Computing site -
- GPU development - Parallel processing possibilities (see earlier Pixel Shader discussion)
Azure Services ( Cloud )
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Daniel Chait ([address removed]) from New York .NET Meetup Group.
To learn more about Daniel Chait, visit his/her member profile
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here
Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA