|Sent on:||Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:28 PM|
Thanks for coming out last night to the meetup - I really enjoyed the session and all the presentations. This community just keeps growing and getting better.
Before I follow up with some resources that were mentioned last night, I wanted to ask you for a favor. As I mentioned, we are planning on hosting a nationwide hardware startup meetup at SXSW this year, and we need some space to host it. Does anyone have any connections in Austin that might help us find some space near the convention center to host the meetup? Shoot me an email if you do!
Right, so on with what we heard last night:
- A big shout out to NYC Acre for hosting us - check out their website for more info: www.nycacre.com
- NYC's Economic Development Corporation announced their new prototyping competition, entitled "Next Top Makers" where 6 teams will get money, mentorship and access to prototyping facilities to develop their product. More info on the competition can be found at www.nexttopmakers.com. If you have any questions related to the competition, please contact [address removed]. If you want to ask the presenters Alison Hodgson and Miquela Craytor any more general questions about the EDC's support for hardware initiatives, you can reach them on [address removed] and [address removed].
- We got a great taste into what the future of home security "for the rest of us" could look like with Adam Sager and Chris Rill of Force Field Labs - another great application in the burgeoning field of connected devices.
- We also got to experience the Bonzai, Craig Battin's disruptive way of shaving with less water and less damage to the blades. We even had a live shave to prove it. I'll let you know when the product goes on Kickstarter so we can show it some love.
- Howard Fink showed us what you can do with a handful of reclaimed wood from 19th century warehouses - a beautiful iPad amplifier which needs no batteries. Check it out on www.etsy.com/shop/finkh.
Next meetup will be in January, so I'll see you all then. Enjoy all the holidays in between!