add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

NY Hardware Start-up Message Board › Funding, W2NYC Hardware events this week and jobs!

Funding, W2NYC Hardware events this week and jobs!

Haytham E.
user 12592642
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hey hardwarians,
Hope you’re faring well in the world of hardware in the Big Apple. I want to share (and celebrate) with you all that yet another startup from our community is raking in the cash – Jake Levine, founder of Electric Objects just raised $1.7M to bring his awesome internet-connected screens to market and revolutionize the way we enjoy digital art in our homes (he is hiring an electrical engineer). According to the Wall Street Journal, VCs piled in $848M into consumer electronics hardware startups in 2013, more than double than in 2012. Do let me know if you do raise a round so we can celebrate with the crowd!
On another note, I am looking for someone who is willing to help me work on a few projects related to helping the HW community in NY: I want to create a forum for us all to communicate and also crunch some numbers about the community, and I just never manage to get down to it. If you think you can spend 20-30 hours to help me on some projects during June, please email me on
HW Events and Announcements:
1) World To NYC (W2NYC) is organizing a bunch of great events related to what it takes to build a hardware company in NY, and they have some slots open – RSVP quickly as they are going fast. Check them out:

2) Highway1, the hardware accelerator based out in SF has just opened it’s Spring applications. Check it out here.
3) One of the robotics labs I used to collaborate with back in my time in Boston has just launched one of the most awesome projects I’ve seen in a while: a robot that can cut the heads off mosquitos to extract a malaria vaccine, or aka Sporobot. Sounds crazy – well check it out and donate!
Keep building!