We're looking for musicans of all styles/genres, of all skill levels, and at all levels of career, from beginners to seasoned pros.
In addition to our monthly NETWORKING event (where we hang out, eat and drink at a great cafe down in Greenwich Village), we have many other types of group events as well.
TYPES OF EVENTS:
- NETWORKING - Meeting and getting to know each other, with food and drinks (instruments stay home)
- WORKSHOPS - We bring our voices/instruments to a rehearsal space and play for each other, providing support/feedback
- OPEN MICS - We take turns playing with and for each other and watching each other play in front of an audience
- OPEN JAMS - We rent a rehearsal space and bring our instruments along for some group playing
- MEMBER SHOWCASES - Lets turn the spotlight on some of our own members and promote/support their performances
- KARAOKE - Fun, informal singing-- a great way to break down some performance inhibitions in a no-pressure setting
At the monthly NETWORKING event, we have a chance to get to know one another and our different interests/skills. At the NETWORKING event, we often work out the details of 'who wants to play with who', which songs do a set of us want to play together at the next workshop or jam session, who knows how to record someone else's ideas, etc...
In addition, members have the opportunity to promote their own upcoming gigs/shows/etc.Please Note: You are welcome to join even if you are a beginner on your particular instrument. Many of our members also teach and otherwise give lessons; you are likely to find someone who can help you get started or help you to continue develop your skills.PARTNERS:
The following venues and organizations are generous in helping out our group in many different ways:
* The Jam NYC
- jamming facility provides us with rehearsal space at discounted rates
* The Baggot Inn
- hosts our monthly open mic showcase
* American Spirits
- hosts additional open mic nights and karaoke nightsSHARING AND CRITIQUING MUSIC:
This group offers a great opportunity for you to receive feedback
on your music, recordings and performances. Please attend one of our WORKSHOP or OPEN MIC events to share your music with our other members. Also, feel free to request feedback by starting a discussion on the Message Board
-- in your message, please remember to provide a link to a web-site where members will be able to hear your music.PARTICIPATION:
Maintain Active Profile; RSVP & Attend Events
Forming a community and getting to know each other on a deeper level by forming a core group of regulars is important for creating a supportive environment. We're a group that meets face-to-face, so make sure you:
* RSVP (reply) for our EVENTS
and attend regularly.
* Be reliable and attend events if you say you're coming, ie, if you RSVP 'Yes'. If you don't attend and don't update your reply promptly or email me, you may be removed from the group.
* Reply 'No' or 'Maybe' when appropriate, which is also helpful because it shows you're an active participant.
* Maintain an active profile by visiting our web-site regularly! If you fail to sign in for three consecutive months, you'll be classifed as 'Inactive' and risk being removed without further noticeYOUR ONLINE PROFILE:
In the Members
section, each member has an online profile. Making our group less anonymous helps build a strong community, and also will help members find members with compatible ideas (eg. if you're a guitarist looking for a bassist, you should say so on your profile). So please let us know a little about you and your musical interests and add a photo (It doesn't have to be a photo of you--anything relevant to you will do).
Your profile is your promotional tool: Add any links to your website or blog; Tell us about your recordings.
The NY Musicans Network includes these profile questions
* Which instruments do you play?
* Which styles of music do you play/write?
* Where can we hear some of your stuff?
* What are your goals as a musician?
* What do you hope to gain from this meetup?
* Additional information: (eg. use this to tell us about your influences, etc...) MESSAGE BOARD:
Your Music Resource
Please take advantage our group Message Board
to share info or to ask questions about anything relevant. For example, if you need some guidance on how to produce a particular type of recording, or are looking for a singer for an upcoming event, please post here.
One Exception: Please DO NOT use the Message Board
to advertise/promote a one-time event or gig-- the group's Event Calendar
is the more appropriate place to do this. That's because the message board topic will remain for far long after the event has come and gone, cluttering up the boards with stale messages/discussions....
Create a musicians' resource to help members learn from your experience or to ask questions. Use our Message Board
* Post your work
* Ask questions
* Discuss ways to improve our music
* Discuss work habits
* Add inspirational quotes
* Add helpful linksEVENT COSTS:
The NY Musicians Network never charges fees or collects money on its own account; however, sometimes the venue itself where the event is held will some form of payment by attendees.
Networking events are held at cafes, so typically members will pay for their own food or drinks.
Open Mic events are governed by the rules of the open mic venues themselves; often the venue requires participating musicians to buy one drink throughout the night.
Workshop/Jam Session events often require the rental of a rehearsal/performance space. When this is the case, the rental fee is divided between the participants. MEMBER WEB-SITES:Send me the link to your web-site and I'll add it to this About page.
* Phil Robinson
- Singer/Songwriter, also Organizer of the NY Musicians Network
* Karen Davis
- Singer/SongwriterUSEFUL MUSICIAN LINKS:
Help us create a resource of information useful to musicians in New York.Send me your links and I'll add them to this About page.
* New York Open Mic Directory
- Abbie Gardner's exhaustive list, broken down by weeknightPHOTO SELECTIONS:
Here are some photos from previous events. Please check out more on the Photos
NETWORKING (Meet and Greet) events at 12 Chairs Cafe:
OPEN MIC events at The Baggot Inn:
WORKSHOP event at Ultrasound Rehearsal Studios: QUESTIONS/COMMENTS/FEEDBACK/IDEAS:
As the organizer, I 'm always happy to hear your ideas and feedback, as well as any positive and negative criticism. My aim is to make this group what you want it to be, so never hesitate to send me an e-mail
to let me know if you're not getting what you want out of the group, and how things can be adjusted to suit your needs better.
Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing you at the next event!
Phil (The Organizer)www.PhilRobinson.net
See more stats