NYC Codecademy Group Message Board › Javascript Exercise: "What venue?"

Javascript Exercise: "What venue?"

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello all,

For those of us just learning to code and looking to apply our newfound Javascript skills, I've created a short exercise based on an actual work project. The goals for this exercise are to:

1. Solve a conditional logic problem
2. Work in a real (e.g. messy) environment
3. Introduce Google Apps Scripts (see resources discussion) and demo how to automate sending an email based on a Form submission

To get started, just follow the 2 steps below:
1. Request access to the spreadsheet with the exercise here
2. Create a copy for yourself (very important)
*the rest of the instructions are found in the exercise!

A few notes:
In addition to our three weeks of Codeacademy, this exercise requires some familiarity with Google Apps - I'm hoping this will be relatively easy to pick up, esp. if you've used Microsoft Office.
Also, I do not have a specific answer in mind! I'm curious to see what we as a group can come up with.

Lastly, please feel free to reply to this thread with questions, suggestions to improve this exercise, thoughts on solving the problem, etc.

Cheers,
Matt
Carlos M. C.
user 12066585
New York, NY
Awesome!

Thanks Matt!
Maurice R.
user 12402594
Boston, MA
I was having trouble making line 13 work. Was the code messed with?
A former member
Post #: 3
Hmm, looks untouched at the moment. However, this reminds me of one additional step. Only takes a minute:

1. After making a copy of the document, go to Tools -> Script Editor.
2. Then to to Triggers -> Current Script's Triggers.
3. Click link to "add one now"
4. Set the trigger to "run emailSelection" - "from spreadsheet" - "on form submit"

This tells the document to run our "email selection" function every time a new form is submitted.

Matt

(I'll add this note to the original document as well)