AAA.org & Evolution fans. Astronomy, Darwin, Science in NYC Message Board › A Creationist Lecture

A Creationist Lecture

Chris
user 3533065
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 65
Here is a possible topic for discussion, a Creationist lecture by Terry Mortenson:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Find the errors, misrepresentations, wilful falsehoods, and blatant stupidities!

(He claims a Ph.D. but doesn't know what a double negative is, or that there is no nation named "Korea"....Oooof. Watch carefully; this is a rich swill of logical fallacies. See how many you can find! [He is not above racist/anti-Semitic ad hominem argument, either. Ouch.])
Bill
user 2341848
New York, NY
Post #: 144
Chris, I watched the Creationist video you posted to the Evo message board on Feb 28.
Some of the things he says I think are factually wrong:

* For example, he claims that there is no progression of increased complexity of fossils as you move into more recent strata. Actually, I thought everybody, including Creationists, agreed there was. The explanation Duane Gish gave was that as the waters of the great flood increased, the more advanced animals fled to higher and higher levels before drowning. The guy debating him pointed out that the less advanced plants were found in lower strata, so does that mean the more advanced plants walked up to higher strata?
* He quotes Steve Jay Gould as saying that the lack of transitional forms in the fossil record is a big problem for evolution. He gives an unfortunate quote by Gould that this is the "trade secret of paleontology", and speculates a lot about it. He doesn't mention that even Darwin was aware of this problem and it was far from secret. Nor does he mention that what made Gould famous was his solution to the problem, punctuated equilibrium.
* He accusing paleontologist of speculating too much based on very small fragments of skeletons. That may be a valid accusation.