NYC OpenStreetMap enthusiasts Message Board › adgenda? I hope there will be time to ask some questions

adgenda? I hope there will be time to ask some questions

Chris M.
ChrisMcnally
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 45
I tried to use OpenLayers last month to put up a map on a website with just certain amenities (amenity=bicycle_parking) displayed. Displaying the map was no problem, but I could not find an example of just displaying certain POIs except though a data file.

ie, I Think the only way I can do it is if I export the data from JOSM and display it using the OpenLayers javascript methods. but I was hoping I could just do it in some code so that it would be live, so that if someone updates the map we would see it.

If anyone has an answer to that please let me know either here or at the meetup. I'd like to discuss my simple project and hear some suggestions from the group. I am not on the agenda though and not prepared so it would be informal.

Thanks

Chris Mcnally
Peter B.
user 34538792
Maplewood, NJ
Post #: 2
Hi Chris,

Nice to meet you and delighted you are in using Open Street Maps for your project.

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but try Wikimapia http://wikimapia.org­ to filter your point of interest tags. Wikimapia uses several mapping sources, including OMS. I suspect that if you tag locations with "bicycle parking" using OMS, then after a few days the points of interest will appear in Wikimapia. There is a category in use "bicycle stand." Is that the same thing? Wikimapia returns 102 places worldwide for that tag. If you want people to find your tag, then I suggest leaving out the under score in bicycle parking...

Peter B