NYC Pints 'n' Purls Message Board KAL Patterns, Discussions & Questions › "Summer Flies" KAL

"Summer Flies" KAL

Deborah
user 3065513
New York, NY
Post #: 34
After our trip to The Stichery, a KAL craze began among the group. Here is the second of our summer into fall KALs: Summer Flies.
http://www.ravelry.co...­

We have over five people committed to it already! To encourage the group to KAL, some of the core group of KAL starters have suggested (and are offering to to contribute to) some prizes/raffles for participants. Details to follow. (Thanks KAL starters.)

Consider using our group Raverly page to let others know you are working one of our KALs, so other members can ask for help if needed and to share your progress. http://www.ravelry.co...­

Many KALers from our group are also posting on Instagram with #nycpintsnpurls

For alternative edging: (Elizabeth recommended.)

Let's also post finished products on out Meetup photo gallery!
judy f.
user 9308473
New York, NY
Post #: 55
so glad people suggested the SUMMER FLIES k-a-l. Started it Monday night and i'm getting my knitting mojo back !!!

It's a fun pattern, and should be good for all levels of knitters.

For experienced knitters, it has a little variety and moves quickly. Looks really nice.

For less experienced knitters, those who haven't yet tried lace and/or shawls....
it's pretty basic, straightforward.
standard shawl starting (forget the name of it, somebody help me)....knit a
'tab', pick up stitches around it, and spread out (poor description, makes
sense when you do it
simple eyelet/lace design to get you started; repeats/pattern is 7 stitches or less
has simple stitches/techniques to add to your repertoire.....M1, PSSO, all
explained clearly
also has stitch count at the end of each row

pattern should help you along, and having other knitters help you, egg you on is fun.

and PRIZES !!!!

looking forward to seeing how everyone is doing !
judy f.
user 9308473
New York, NY
Post #: 56
also, forgot to mention.....people on ravelry used all different weight yarns. see what's in your stash and what motivates you.
i'm using sockweight yarn. keeping the size 8 needles, so they eyelet /lacy effect will show. think i'll be fine for size, especially if i block it. doing fancy edging, may run out of yarn. may have to find complementary color in my stash. will keep you posted.

and, a TIP
section 6, knotted openwork (rows 67-82). odd rows, starting with row 69, the middle stitch of the knit 3 will be the yarn over from two rows previous. so, when you are knitting the k3, you will see normal stitch, loopy stitch, normal stitch. easy to see if you are out of whack and need to add a stitch, correct (almost better than stitch markers !!)
judy f.
user 9308473
New York, NY
Post #: 57
elizabeth is posting her progress on our ravelry group page. i added some comments, which i'm repeating here, so wherever you get your info....

it’s a real shocker. both edgings have you double your stitches rather abruptly, from approx 200 to approx 400. that happened before when i was doing some ruffles…on ubiquitous kate, i think. it does slow you down, actually and psychologically.

at first, i wasn’t in love with the way the charts were written. fortunately, instructions were also written out. now that i understand the pattern a little better, i could probably use either set of instructions.

i bought some yarn yesterday that i can use for the edging if i run out. right now, i think the original yarn, 435 yards should go thru chart A of the alternate edging, new yarn for chart B.

this is finally looking like my customary shawls….lots of stitch markers along the row.

and a tip
also, for people who may be new to shawls, or new to lace-work, when we had our first k-a-l, the holden shawlette, i wrote up a lengthy guide, which several people were kind enough to say was helpful, with a litle about shawl construction, guidlelines for many lace patterns, how to count stitches in each segment, where to put stitch markers etc. it should be easily adaptable to other shawl and lace patterns

judy f.
user 9308473
New York, NY
Post #: 59
to update...i'm done !!!! will try to figure out photographing and posting.

tip/information..... i used size 8 needles and i knit loosely. doing the other edging, as written, took a little over 600 yards.
elizabeth adapted the edging to fit with size 7 needles and 425 ish yard...maybe also a tighter knitter...
so you can plan....