addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NYC Vegetarian and Vegan Families Message Board › reStart RoundUP (7/2/14)

reStart RoundUP (7/2/14)

A former member
Post #: 1,070
Hello and welcome to 2014's 2nd half herbivores. I hope the first half has been GOOD for you.

Mine has been incredible reconnecting with so many of you at various EatUPs and community events otherwise. Some of you I've seen online over the duration, but not in person until recently. Some of you it's been Y E A R S. And with others of you, it's been weeks or months, yet now we've had a live conversation instead of just a passing wave! This is so timely as I am thinking a good deal about what's been in this first decade of my EatUP organizing, and what could be in this emerging second decade for EatUP and NYC's vegan scene overall.

While it's top of mind, please know the NYC vegan food crawls I shared last time ("11 RoundUP" is that email's subject line) are for public, self-directed use. They were inspired by questions you and/or visiting friends have asked me over the years. And one good way to culminate this first decade meeting and eating with you all. Look for more suggested local and regional crawls in the near future.

Happening sooner than that is ­the 8th Annual July Jamboree at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary Saturday, July 5 11 am to 5 pm. There is a bus line to and from Port Authority directly to and from WFAS itself.

­NEXT Thursday, July 10, I hope to see some of you at Brooklyn Vegan Drinks, hosted by veteran veg venue V-Spot. Great people, great hosts, great food AND libations!

And then Saturday July 12, it's time for (a) Lunch Bunch's July picnic and/or (b) the wonderful ­Vegan Shop-Up! If you haven't been before, PLEASE check it out. Maybe take cash and leave ALL 'plastic' at home.

Was stunned and excited to learn ­Moo Shoes will open a 2nd store in L.A. late 2014

Meanwhile, the ever-growing Blossom Empire (1) ­debuts a new Blossom Du Jour just a few doors from Peacefood Uptown and Organic Avenue (Upper West Side), (2) open another ­Blossom Du Jour in the Empire State Building (Yup!) AND (3) will reopen Blossom Cafe Uptown a few blocks up from its old location!

Speaking of triple plays, Whole Foods opens on the Upper East Side, Harlem­ and Williamsburg­ over this next year. Maybe you knew already though. I must've been overly focused on Gowanus and its rooftop gardens.

And speaking of dynamic duos, Earth Balance has introduced yet another product - ­boxed vegan mac & cheese. The reports I've read from people who ordered it online are quite quite good. Using soy milk to make it is strongly recommended.

(I finally found ­Gardein's fishless filets at my favorite NYC grocery, Westerly. Now if it will cool off some, I'll cook them up in the oven... and report back.)

Do want to call out that more and more NYC eateries are adding vegan options. It's amazing to see it on more and more sandwich boards walking here and there. To that point, thanks to Carmella­ for noting ­Sushi Samba offers a vegan menu! And otherwise, ­fro yo chain 16 Handles debuted Yo Soy Vanilla vegan fro yo to all stores July 1. I've had it, want more and recommend it – was better quality than I'd expected! They also have a coconut water based sorbet amusingly named Coco Loco. That as a beverage with some fruit could be IT.

Reminder: the ice cream shoppe formerly know as Lula's is open Thursdays through Sundays 3 pm until at least 10:30 pm. This will be important to note for visiting friends' schedules. And certainly cravings otherwise.

OK, trusting this is plenty to digest for now. Please wish me luck on clearing some key tech hurdles, so I might move forward on a great few things and report that much back sooner with tasty, timely tidbits ;)

Meanwhile, PLEASE enjoy some Summer. It is a very very good season for FUN!

Ciao/chow, Demetrius

p.s. I would love to put together an outside (rooftop?) Summer
dance party with all vegan eats. Anyone willing and able to provide such a free or frugal spot for this? easily accessible by transit?