NYC physics and math self-learners group Message Board › fantastically exciting initial meeting.

fantastically exciting initial meeting.

Matt S.
matthewdsiegel
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Dear Autodidacts,

Please sign up for our initial meeting, Sat. 5/19, 12-2, at the Brooklyn Heights Library, if you are at all inclined to do so.  Transportation couldn't be easier.  As an added bonus, the library currently has a display of toys & games of the 1960s and '70s, and we can stand around admiring the Etch-a-Sketch or whatever.  If you can't make it to the city that day, but would like to participate in the meeting via Skype, please post or email me your Skype name, or whatever will be needed to dial you in from the library.

By the way, I have recently been going through a book called Explorations in Mathematical Physics: The Concepts Behind an Elegant Language, by Don Koks.  It's liberally sampled on google books; so you can check it out there for free.  I recommend it for an unhurried and fairly intuitive treatment of the parts of math that are most important for basic physics.

Unfortunately, I purchased this book on something called "Google Play," thinking that I was getting full rights to the text, but I only got the ability to read it on an iPad or Droid, and I don't have an iPad and the Droid makes it too small to read.  So I now don't have the right even to print out my own book properly, and am working my way through it by looking at it on my wife's iPad, on my home computer, and by using "print screen" to print out half sceens' worth of the book at a time.  Even under these conditions I am enjoying the text.

- Matt