addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for the type of ukulele that would be best for a beginner who's interested in playing for fun. I've looked into it and there are standard, soprano, bass etc. Not sure what's best for a beginner though.
user 40950552
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Nikki: There are various sizes as you've discovered and the choice is partly dependent on the sound you prefer and your comfort level with handling the fingerboard - different widths of the frets and finger size. The standard, also called the soprano, is the size of the first ukulele and is still regarded as the one that generates the old Hawaii sound.

The next one up, the concert is a little larger and spans the tone of the soprano and the tenor. It is a very popular size in Hawaii and may be easier for many in terms of the fingering because there's more room on the fingerboard for maneuvering between chords and frets.

The next size up, the tenor, has probably the most mellow sound of the three and is particularly popular with performers because of its tonal range. Also, the frets are easier to work with and it produces a much wider range of notes. These three are all tuned the same way and therefore the chords you learn for one work with the other two.

Finally, there's the baritone, different tuning but for people who've played the guitar, it's a sweet transition because the tuning I'd the same as the last four strings on a guitar.

How much to spend? If you are just beginning, buy something in the $100 to $200 range until you are ready to reallynstep up to something much better. By then, you'll also have enough exposure and enough information to know what you really like better. At that price range, you also won't be too out of pocket if you take a very long break from playing or find a Uke is not for you - but that won't happen, LOL.

There are a number of brands you might want to look at that make very nice instruments in the price range I am suggesting: Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, Oscar Schmidt, etc. If you have a difficult time finding a store near you to try one out, go online and take a look at YouTube for Uke reviews or Google them. Check out Uke Hunt, Ukuleleunderground or Gotaukulele also. There are plenty of resources. If you start to home in on a couple, try going to Hawaii Music Supply, Uke Republic or Mims for more info - or to purchase. They all do a good job of prepping (set-up) on the instruments before they ship.

All of the above is just my opinion. The members of this Meetup can give you even better advice coz I am also an absolute beginner. The only difference between us is that I already have a Uke, LOL.