addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › Forgiveness Practice: Reading for March 6th NVMG meeting

Forgiveness Practice: Reading for March 6th NVMG meeting

Forrest H.
user 33431512
Group Organizer
Napa, CA
Dear Sangha,

This week (Weds. March 6th) we will continue our discussion on loving kindness by exploring  the power forgiveness has to open our hearts and create greater self-awareness. Through the forgiveness process we can begin shifting our focus away from our “perceived” faults to embracing our good qualities, which we may often neglect.

The reading for our discussion comes from pages 189 – 195 in Chapter 7 of Awakening Joy. You can print out a copy of the chapter by clicking on the link below:

http://freepdfhosting...­

As Jack Kornfield puts it, “Forgiveness is the capacity to let go, to release the suffering, the sorrows, the burdens of the pains and betrayals of the past, and instead to choose the mystery of love. Forgiveness shifts us from the small separate sense of ourselves to a capacity to renew, to let go, to live in love.

The Bhagavad Gita says, “If you want to see the brave, look to those who can return love for hatred. If you want to see the heroic, look to those who can forgive.”

Pretty power stuff, eh?

I believe the more we practice forgiveness meditation, the more unwilling we are to attack or wish harm on anyone, including ourselves. For me, life would be pretty unbearable without forgiveness, because I’d feel chained to the suffering of the past. Without forgiveness we are condemned to replaying our sorrows over and over again without release.

Metta-
Forrest

p.s. At last week’s meeting Victoria mentioned that she had a chance to hear Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor speak in about a stroke she had in 1996 and how it provide her with insights on how the brain defines us and connects us to the world. I had a change to watch her Ted Talk over the weekend and found it very inspiring. Here’s the link:

http://www.ted.com/ta...­