addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › The Practice of Taking Good Care of Ourselves: Readings for Wed. March 13th NVMG

The Practice of Taking Good Care of Ourselves: Readings for Wed. March 13th NVMG

Forrest H.
user 33431512
Group Organizer
Napa, CA
Dear Sangha,

To prepare for our discussion on Wednesday you are invited to finish reading Chapter 7 of Awakening Joy. During our discussion we will focus on the final two sections of the chapter:

Who’s doing the Loving? (page 202)
Love Finding Itself (page 204)

If you have not had a change to print out a copy of the 7th chapter, you can do so by clicking on the link below:

http://freepdfhosting...­

I hope you are finding that the practice of loving kindness can profoundly change your life. Learning to love ourselves is a process that evolves over time through our intention to cultivate compassion and kindness. It begins with letting go of self-criticism and forgiving ourselves for being who we are. By inclining our minds toward looking for what is good and wholesome in us, we stop feeling the negative and start bringing our positive qualities to life.

Exercise

One of the exercises that James Baraz invites us to try is called “Taking Good Care of Yourself.” Learning to talk kindly to ourselves is an essential part of self-love. Often, awareness of the tone of our thoughts helps us discern between the voice of judgment and the voice of wisdom.

One of the ways to get in touch with our wisdom that wants to take good care of ourselves is to ask directly, What do I need right now for my well-being? or What do I need right now to thrive?

Try practicing these phrases during the day or when you are meditating. Listen for the honest response that comes through. There is no right answer. See if you can act on this response in a way that supports the intention of kindness towards yourself. Listen to the wisdom coming through. Then see if you can empower it through action.

You are invited to share your experiences with this exercise during our discussion time on Wednesday.

See you soon.

Metta-
Forrest