Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › No Big Deal: Readings for July 31th NVMG Meeting

No Big Deal: Readings for July 31th NVMG Meeting

Forrest H.
user 33431512
Group Organizer
Napa, CA
Dear Sangha,
Over the next couple of weeks, I would like us to explore the Lojong practice through the writings of Pema Chodron. She is a renowned Buddhist meditation master and director of the Gampo Abbey, Nova Scotia, the fist Tibetan monastery in North America.
The Lojong practice is made up of a set of teachings that come in the form of slogans. The basic notion of Lojong is that we make friends with what we reject, what we see as “bad” in ourselves and other people. At the same time, we could learn to be generous with what we cherish, what we see as “good”. The idea is that if we begin to live in this way, something in us that may have been buried for a long time begins to ripen. Traditional this something is called "bodhichitta", or awakened heart. It’s something that we already have but usually have not yet discovered.
The text for our investigation into the Lojong practice comes from Pema’s book “Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living.” The first chapter describes the mediation practice (which in the Shambhala tradition is called shamatha-vipashyana), so I thought we could begin our investigation starting with chapter 2, entitled “No Big Deal”
You can print out a copy of the reading by clicking on the link below:
http://freepdfhosting...­
Please bring a copy with you to the meeting.
If you find this material interesting, I really encourage you to purchase a copy of the book. It is of one of the classic text on Lojong practice written for a western audience.
I look forward to seeing you next Wednesday at 7pm.
Metta-
Forrest