Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › The Practice of Saying, "Yes": Reading for July 15 NVMG Meeting

The Practice of Saying, "Yes": Reading for July 15 NVMG Meeting

Lori S.
user 80216972
Napa, CA
Post #: 2
Dear Sangha,

Following last week’s discussion of Wise Effort, this week (July 15) I thought it might be of benefit to explore meditation teacher Tara Brach’s teachings on how we can cultivate inner friendliness toward our experience of life. You will find Tara’s article entitled, “The Practice of Saying, Yes” (adapted from her book Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With The Heart Of A Buddha, 2003) through this link:

http://tarabrach.com/...­

Please bring a copy of the article with you on Tuesday.

The practice of saying “yes” that Tara shares can be summed up in this passage:

“We bring alive the spirit of Radical Acceptance when, instead of resisting emotional pain, we are able to say Yes to our experience. The instant we agree to feel fear or vulnerability, greed or agitation, we are holding our life with an unconditionally friendly heart.”

This practice of saying Yes does not deny our difficulties, pain or suffering, nor does it approve of our harsh judgments or negative thoughts. From my experience, this practice of saying Yes is, simply said, holding the intention to offer a bow of respect and kindness to our experience of this present moment.

In my own practice, this respectful and kind bow of Yes to my inner experience helps to redirect me to the truth that an incomprehensible multitude of causes and conditions have come together to create this moment and my human response to it. When I know this, I can drop my demand that things be other than they are, my tendency to blame myself or others for whatever is occurring, and sense into the wider space of clear seeing and compassion. Each moment this occurs, the softening of resistance is a gift to my well-being.

How is the spirit of “Yes” already present in your daily life practice? How might you grow your “Yes”? If this practice is new to you, how might cultivating this bow of respect and kindness toward your experience impact your daily life and the lives of those around you? If it speaks to you, perhaps give this practice a try and bring your discoveries with you on Tuesday.

Looking forward to our time together,

With Metta,
~ Lori

“May I meet this moment fully. May I meet it as a friend.” ~ Sylvia Boorstein