Announcing a new Meetup for Natural Beekeeping!
What: Bees: The OTHER Way
When: January 23,[masked]:00 AM
Price: $50.00 per person
Friendly Haven Rise Farm
20309 NE 242nd Ave
Battle Ground, WA 98604
This class is for people who want to keep bees and ALSO for people who want to be good bee stewards and provide a healthy environment for them. All are welcome! if you've taken the class before you can audit again for $10. Bring any bee clothes you have or dress for being around bees (loose jeans, sweatshirt) Bring a bag lunch (pollen provided!)
* The bee family
* My Swarm-Catching kit -- I'm ready to go on a minute's notice
* How to care for them once they're home
* Mistakes I have made (and hopefully learned from)
* Approaching bees using biodynamic and organic methods
* Purchased queen bees vs. natural true queens
* The effects of the weakened gene pool
* True nutrition for bees
* Tasting different kinds of honeys and pollens (wow!)
* Creating a healthy bee garden in your own backyard
* Natural ways to prevent CCD (no kidding)
* Communicating with bees and developing relationships with hives
* Top bar hives, historic cow dung hives and straw hives
* Rehoming swarms and moving bees from buildings
* Educating the public about alternative bee paradigms
I've had honeybees on the farm for nearly five years. Fascinating. I continue to learn more about the little native bees, too. Did you know we have three HUNDRED native bees in this area?
I have a strong opinion about the causes of CCD and I'll share that with you. By the time you finish this class you'll understand where it comes from, how to prevent it, and what to do to help bees even if you're not a beekeeper. All my hives come from swarms and are feral. I like the mixed gene pool that comes from that.
The all day class goes from 10am to 4pm. Taught by Jacqueline, bee stewardess.
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/Natural-Beekeeping/calendar/12211552/