New Orleans Lawyers Meetup Message Board › Free Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0, et al

Free Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0, et al

Kris L. C.
user 69489132
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 5
Adobe has offered up a group of its older software for free. I've been watching a couple different threads about it for several days now and it appears to be legit, with licensing. It may be a good opportunity to get some good software for free for those starting out. The website is: http://www.adobe.com/...­

~Kris
Ernest S.
user 8616244
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 7
Wow! I checked it out and it seems to be true. Somehow there has to be a catch. Large companies don't usually behave like this.
A former member
Post #: 1
could it be that they realize that open is better, putting people on the platform then having them subscribe to creative cloud to do anything up to date...
A former member
Post #: 1
Well, I've been a longtime user of Adobe products, and this is the FIRST time I have seen them doing anything like this. It's essentially abandonware. Look at the language: "Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products."

Should...not may...should. That's permissive language, thus they aren't limiting usage to those who already purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7.

As for why they are doing this, it may well be their tacit recognition that locking in training breeds consumer loyalty. Once someone takes the time to learn Photoshop, they are very, very likely to remain a Photoshop user forever. So if someone gets their first copy for free, they are still being primed as loyal paying customers for later versions.

Autodesk has been doing something similar, though more extensive. You can currently get educational versions of almost all of their software for free, including Maya, Softimage, 3D Studio Max, AutoCad, and tons of others.

What relevance for lawyers? Well, Photoshop, Illustrator and In-Design are all very, very powerful tools to use in creating courtroom exhibits. From enhancing existing photos for clarity to creating new visual layouts of charts and diagrams and the like, all of that is doable in the Creative Suite apps. As for Autodesk, quite a few accident reconstruction experts use Autodesk software to run their simulations. Having it installed at your office would mean being able to receive the data directly from your expert to view things in progress. (Note: the educational license is for self-taught people as well as formal students; while it forbids commercial use I think there's an argument to make that you wouldn't be using it commercially to make videos or simulations yourself, only to coordinate...could be a bit too finely parsed for some).