NEW Meeting date (SECOND Thursday of the month) and NEW Location (Tekserve).
1) Tony White of Tony White Designs, Inc. will present some ideas on the topic of FileMaker error handling and best practices for using Get( LastError ) and Set Error Capture [On|Off]. Join us for a lively round-the-room discussion.
What are the use cases we need to address and what are the pros and cons of different approaches?
It would be an error to miss this presentation.
2) We will have an unpresentation round table discussion riffing off the topics from the recent PauseOnError unconference just held in Portland.
Presentation topics up for discussion (with a hat tip to the PauseOnError presenter and -> some starting point thoughts/interpretations) include:
* “Todd Geist: Avoiding the Monolith” -> coding styles and strategies…
* “Deborah Norton: EXTERMINATE!!! The Value of Organized and Systematic Testing Cycles” -> tools and techniques to improve the quality of the code you deliver.
* “Kevin Frank: Radical Separation” -> the separation model..how far can you take it?
* “Donovan Chandler: FileMaker Frameworks: Ideas and Best Practices” -> Frameworks and FileMaker…what are some of the best approaches?
* “Jason Mundok: Collaborating Instead of Colliding with Clients” -> How to improve collaboration on your client projects.
* John Newhoff, Kate Wheeler: Bugs, Issues and Feature Requests” -> A good bug tracking system can improve communication and productivity. What are some of the best approaches to setting up helpful issue tracking systems?
* Tom Fitch: AntiPatterns: lessons from the Big Ball of Mud” -> what is code smell? What is code fragrance? Which is better? What is technical debt and when should you use it? How can you minimize it? When should you pay it down?
You can read more about the PauseOnError presentations here:
Join us for a lively discussion.
4) Bring your FileMaker questions and ask the audience. It is amazing how many problems a group of FileMaker developers can solve.
5) Picks and Tips of the Month: Short bits or bytes of interest to our NYFMP.org group members
119 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10011
(between 6th & 7th Avenues)
5:30 pm Meet & Greet
6:00 pm – 8:00pm Presentation