"New York Film Fest" Message Board › Movie suggestions

Movie suggestions

A former member
Post #: 7
Foreign: 
The diving bell and the butterfly - a beautiful movie, in french but, because most of it was narrated, the dubbed version works very well.
Bad Education- the only Almodovar film that I loved.
The Orphanage- From the maker of Pan's Labyrinth. Part Horror, Part solid drama. A rare find: a well made horror film.

Musical:
Sweeney Todd was great!  I saw it an hour ago and I'm ready to see it again!  Depp and Bonham-Carter did a great job.
Evita- I'm no fan of Madonna, Bandaras, Lloyd Webber, or musicals but this movie was an incredible piece of work that appealed to my historical interest.

Popcorn:
I am ready to see the Watchmen again!

Classics:
All about Eve- one of the all-time Oscar champs for a reason.  The most nominations (14!) until Titanic tied that record.  it still won 6 despite having lost in some of the big categories because the film's actors competed against each other in the "best" categories.  "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"  There's a lot of subtext in this one. And there's an unknown Marilyn Monroe making a cameo. Rotten tomato rating of 100%.
Duck Soup- one of my all-time favorites.
The outsiders- a who's who list of then unknown actors: Swayze, Diane Lane, Tom Cruise, Ralph Machio, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, etc.  "Stay gold, Pony, stay gold."  This is where my Diane Lane crush originated.
A former member
Post #: 143
"Watchmen" isn't a popcorn flick. If I had to recommend a pop-corn flick, it would be "Transformers." But that could be saved for a Friday night or something(lol).

And I'd recommend other classics like "Apocalypse Now", "Taxi Driver", "The Godfather", "Dog Day Afternoon", or "The Wild Bunch." If anybody also wants to see some great foreign films, then I'd recommend every single film by either Andrei Tarkovsky or Ingmar Bergman. But all of their films are an acquired taste.

Now if anybody is interested in some great anime, then we could watch "Ghost in the Shell", "Spirited Away", "Princess Mononke", or "My Neighbor Totoro." I would recommend "Grave of the Fireflies", but I don't want anybody to be depressed after a meetup.
A former member
Post #: 252
Um.... "Grave of the Fireflies" is my favorite anime film! And, Tartovsky? "Solaris" (1972) is my favorite sci-fi film! :) You have such good taste, Brian! Are you a Kurosawa fan? He's my favorite director.

"Dog Day Afternoon" is playing for free at Bryant Park this Summer.

Documentaries (in no particular order): "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmaker's Apocalypse", "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill", "The Fog of War" (2003), "The Cats of Mirikitani", "Touching the Void", and "Capturing the Friedmans".

If you show a documentary - any documentary - I will come. (Well...except for "American Movie" - i've seen that enough for now.)
A former member
Post #: 152
Um.... "Grave of the Fireflies" is my favorite anime film!

It's one of the few films that I've given a 10/10 too.

And, Tartovsky? "Solaris" (1972) is my favorite sci-fi film!

It is fascinating, but I think "Stalker" is the better one. And Tarkovsky never made a bad film in my opinion. He's my all time favorite director.

Are you a Kurosawa fan?

OF COURSE! So far, I've loved everything that he's done. Which includes "Seven Samurai", "Ikiru", "Roshomon", "The Hidden Fortress", and "Yojimbo." That's all I've seen at this point, and I plan on seeing the rest of his work within the next year.

And if were going to see any documentary, it would have to be something by Micheal Moore. I love that man, even though he can be very biased sometimes.
A former member
Post #: 154
And if were talking about "classics", then I recommend every film by Stanley Kubrick. Especially "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Dr. Strangelove", and "A Clockwork Orange."
A former member
Post #: 255
strange... the last time I was at John's he said he didn't like "A Clockwork Orange", and I described "Hidden Fortress" and its similarities to "Star Wars"!
A former member
Post #: 2
Foreign Film suggestions:
Pans Labyrinth
Amelie
Cinema Paradiso (one of my most favorites!)
Raise the Red Lantern

Classics:
One The Waterfront
Singin' in the Rain
Roman Holiday
To Kill A Mockingbird
The African Queen

Drama
The Constant Gardner
The Visitor
Thank You For Smoking (comedy)

A former member
Post #: 157
strange... the last time I was at John's he said he didn't like "A Clockwork Orange", and I described "Hidden Fortress" and its similarities to "Star Wars"!

Without "The Hidden Fortress", there wouldn't be a "Star Wars."