Melanie M.
user 14417551
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 11
I am looking to upgrade my gear. I have a Nikon D40 now and would like to hear some reviews and comments on other users cameras before I go out and invest. I am not sure if I want to upgrade my Nikon or go with a new cannon. Any suggestions appreciated :)
Thank you!
Gerard P.
user 11708865
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 6
Both camera systems work well. There are a lot of strong opinions from either system's owner as to which is best. You really can't go wrong. I would suggest looking at the website www.dpreview.com. All of the cameras have been reviewed there, and you will also find hundreds of opinions as to which type of camera might best be suited for you. One thought would be that if you have been happy with your current brand sticking with it might be easiest for you. The menus and functionalities would be more familiar. You might also consider going with a brand that some of your close friends are using. They could help with settings, etc., and you could share lenses, flashes...

Good luck.
Dave
user 4491476
Slidell, LA
Post #: 3
Gerard is wrong Canons suck, Nikon is the only brand to buy. smile and no this isn't a strong held opinion. why do you ask?

beyond familiarity with the general controls there is the matter of lens compatibility. sticking with nikon allows you to just get a new body and use your existing lenses with it. this should save you money although the deals on kits can be pretty cheap. if you went to say a D5200 while there is considerably more software it's all menu driven and the look and feel would be like your D40. if you went to a D7100 much more of the controls are knob for faster field changes so if changing EV regularly for instance is important you might want to go that way. brand notwithstanding how you plan on using the camera is more important. and there lens selection can be the defining point. you won't be doing much wildlife photography with a 24mm lens. good for street candids however.