|Sent on:||Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:29 AM|
Hi everyone at the Bay Area Nightphotography group,
several people showed interest in some of the Yosemite Nighphotography (with camping) events last year but couldn't attend for various reasons. This year I'm able to host only 2 such events. So we are looking for someone to step up and host such event.
The reason why I bring this up now is that you need a wilderness permit for these events and they are limited and reservations are gone within hours for popular trails.
You can see here for which trails and dates the reservations are gone already: http://www.nps.gov/featurecontent/yose/upload/rptFullTrailheadDates.htm
Wilderness permit reservations can be (and for the popular trails must be) made 24weeks in advance.
One event is setup (May Lake 6/29) and needs a host and permit still seems to be available:
May Lake is the most easily accessible location and event with camping.
Other locations that have been done are: Cathedral Lakes, Glen Aulin, Young Lakes and Sunrise Lakes
These are your and the attendees benefits for hosting that kind of event and what makes it possible to host it by almost everyone in the group:
- the group has more events and more people are happy that they were able to attend an event
- that kind of event is unique, a great experience and rarely hosted by any meetup group in the Bay Area especially for free (only covering permit costs)
- many of the popular and easier locations have been done and deemed worth the effort
- as host you'll get all the information to make the event successful, so no scouting and writing up things etc. required
- you already know where to shoot and which locations worked out well in the past
- you'll benefit from the experience from past events in every way
- you as host get to attend the event for sure
What do you need to do as host:
- be there on time
- some trips require more physical fitness for what you and the attendees need to be prepared for
- deal with RSVP's, keep spots filled
- answer questions about the event, if there are still any after reading the event description
- costs for permit and bear canisters (if they are required) are covered
- lead the group to the location(s)
If you like to host a non-backpacking Yosemite event we can help you to set that up and give you information about locations.
If you like to host an event in the Bay Area you are most welcome to do so and we can give you plenty of information about shooting locations were we have done already events and help you setting up the event. In fact we URGENTLY NEED MORE HOSTS/ORGANIZERS for events in the Bay Area to keep up with the demand.
You can contact the Group Organizers directly here: http://www.meetup.com/NightPhotography/suggestion/