North Bay Country Dance Message Board › the dizzies

the dizzies

Moira H.
user 13573507
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 1
Everyone seems to get somewhat dizzy when they first start contra dancing - some more than others. It can even make you feel nauseous. The good news is that, for most people, the dizziness does go away, as your brain adjusts to the new movement.

Here are some things that have helped others in overcoming dizziness:

• expect that the body's adjustment to the new movement will take a few weeks - true in anything new physically/mentally.

• take it slow - just walk through the swings, and do one rotation instead of several.

• focus your gaze one near point - such as your partners' eyes - will eliminate data that is confusing for the brain. And it's a bit flirty too. If that's too intense, you can always look at his/her ear.

• sit out a dance if you feel dizzy. When it subsides, try again. If you're really prone to dizziness, only dance every 3rd dance until your body/brain has adjusted to the new patterns.

• tell your partner that you are feeling dizzy - a good partner accommodates.

Contra dancing is one of the great joys of life and it'd be a shame to miss out on it due to something transitory.

I hope this helps! Are there other things you've used to minimize or get over dizziness while dancing?

- Moira
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi all! I'm one of the newbies that have signed onto Meetup. Regarding the dizzies....thanks for the info! Some of us may be prone to vertigo, not pleasant. I was one of those kids that got carsick ALL the time. As an adult I've found that taking two ginger capsules every four hours helps with being a passenger. This weekend I started with English Country and was just OK...next time I'll take the ginger prior to the dance. I'm hoping this inner ear business settles down with exposure....
Moira H.
user 13573507
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Gloria, hope the dizziness has subsided. How is it going and does the ginger help? - Moira