add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Kayaking Safety

Kayaking Safety

A former member
Post #: 22
I am more than pleased with the interest in the Texoma Kayak/Camping Meet-Up. Although kayaking is one of the best recreational sports and a great way to meet new people and have a great time. It is however potentially dangerous. I would never go so far as to discourage anyone from attending a paddling Meet-Up. The more people the better, I always say. However, for some of the attendees, this will be your first time out on the water. If this is the case here are a few things any paddler, beginner or experienced should know and be aware of each time you get out on the water.

1. Know your level of experience; If you do not have any previous experience, (highly encouraged but not mandatory for this trip) seek out an professional/ certified Kayaking Instructor and become well versed in kayaking safety. There are classes held on Wednesdays by Discovery Kayak. Also it might be a good idea to know how to swim, at least swim well enough to save your own life should the unforseen ever arise.

2. Prepare for the conditions and potential adverse weather conditions; Be aware of the time of year, weather patterns and changes which may occur during the course of the Meet-Up trip.
Example: Proper clothing, protective rain gear if applicable, and extra dry clothes, shelter etc.

3. Proper safety gear and equipment; (PFD) Personal Floatation Device, Sun screen, weather radio, bilge pump, a knife, safety rope, first aid kit, bug repellant. You get the drift....

4. Bring lots of water and high caloric snacks and meals; although when kayaking you are surrounded by water, it’s usually not potable in less you have the means to purify or sanitized it.

What I have provided is a simple recipe for a good and safe time out on the water. It is up to the individual to educate themselves and become familiar with water and outdoor safety. There are plenty of web site with standardized water safety information that everyone should be familiar with. I hope this information not only helps you to practice safety out on the water, but to develop good safety awareness in preparation.

Attached is a couple of web links on:

Packing a kayak for camping

Emergency first aid/ survival kit

Compact first aid kit

Please check out the links, and paddle wise......